What my 13-year-old son looked like after he binged on a bottle of vodka.
He lies in hospital with an oxygen mask strapped to his face, hovering between life and death.
Jack Strom, who is just 13, is barely breathing after drinking a litre bottle of vodka in a park in the latest shocking example of Britain's growing binge-drinking epidemic among the young.
Doctors fighting to save him from alcohol poisoning and hypothermia know he will die if his body temperature drops another degree.
Jack Strom in hospital: He was minutes from death when found.
Jack's mother, Sue, took the picture as she prayed by his bed for his recovery.
Yesterday, after her prayers were answered, she decided to release the image as a terrible warning to other youngsters and their parents.
Miss Strom, a 36-year-old bank worker, said: "His face was yellow when I first arrived at hospital.
"His eyes were the worst thing - when he roused and opened them they were bloodshot and huge.
"He just couldn't focus. It was shocking and I've been a wreck ever since.
"I just cried and went into automatic pilot. Even now I can't sleep at night - I keep going into his room and checking on him. I keep thinking about the 'what ifs'."
It is not known how Jack managed to obtain the vodka, but it is believed he was with a group of older friends who bought it on his behalf.
The group got through two litre bottles of vodka between them, with Jack drinking most of a bottle on his own.
This was more than his seven-and-a-half stone, 5ft7in frame could take and he passed out in the park close to his home in Southwick, Brighton last week.
His temperature plummeted and coats were put over him until help arrived. But ambulance staff confirmed that he was 30 minutes from death when they arrived.
Jack has been shaken by his ordeal after several days in hospital, and has promised his family never to drink to excess again.
Miss Strom said: "Jack is a good son and doing well at school but I had no idea he and his friends drank spirits. But parents can't have eyes in the backs of our heads or handcuff children to their homes."
Jack's 14-year-old sister, Sophie, said: "I was so scared and angry. I'm the oldest and should have made a mistake with drink first so Jack would have learned the lesson."
Sussex police issued a warning to all teenagers and confirmed they were trying to trace and prosecute the person who purchased the drink.
They have been cracking down on underage drinking and last week a local Tesco Express store was banned from selling any alcohol for a month after being caught selling to 15 and 16 year olds.
Chief Inspector Sharon Rowe said: "This was a dreadful incident and a real wakeup call to all parents and children about the dangers. Alcohol is a poison and can and will kill."
Miss Strom's decision to publicise her son's binge-drinking is not the first time a parent has taken such action.
Last year, Arthur Claye released a picture he took on his mobile phone of his daughter Elizabeth collapsed in hospital-in a last-ditch attempt to stop her binge drinking.
Elizabeth, 26, had gone to Newcastle University in 2005 in the hope of becoming a teacher. But she spent her student loan on drink, regularly downing a bottle of vodka a day.
Figures show Britain is among the worst in Europe for teen drunkenness and alcohol abuse.
The unenviable record means some girls and boys in their late teens are being treated for cirrhosis, which normally affects adults who are decades older.
The number of under-18s seeking treatment for alcoholrelated illnesses has soared since Labour introduced 24-hour drinking.
In 2005-6, an average of two dozen were treated in hospital every day.
The rise means that since Labour came to power in 1997 the number of children and teenagers receiving treatment has increased by a third.