The Ferris Conspiracy Forum
Register  |   |   |  Calendar

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 
“Super-Grasses”, is a chapter from the new book; A Madness Shared by Two that's about the life of the Eriksson twins and the murder of Glenn Hollinshead; - based on a critque examination of the BBC documentary; Madness in the Fast Lane.  The author claims the sisters were likely involved in a drug smuggling ring, and that a 'deal' may have been made with the police.  The book exposes a police cover-up, and say this is probably due to the reason the twins were under "obbo", - police observation at the time of the M6 incident.   It further exposes the edited-out 27sec [see here] of film footage from the original docementary, that proves the twins were first arrested under the 1983 Mental Health Act, millions have questioned; 'Why was Sabina released after only 5hrs from this act of madnesss on the motorway?'   The Hollinshead family never knew of this film footage, and now are seeking legal action.  In another first, it also reveals that the coroner's report indicates two weapons were used, and that Sabina could be totally innocent of his murder/manslaughter, and that the real killer/s could still be on the loose!

"Supergrass" is a slang term for an informer who “grasses” on other members of the gang.  One of the first police “grasses” to receive the ‘Supergrass’ nickname, was Bertie Smalls, real name Derek Creighton [1935-2008], born in the East End of London.  I once see him in a night club in Tottenham, called Elton's.  He had a kind of Bob Hoskins look and sound about him, a short, squat man, who loved to emphasis his Cockney accent.  Throughout history there’s been ‘grasses’, the police were able to jail the Kray twins on the evidence given by gang member Leslie Payne.  One of Britain’s most active armed robbers, Bertie “Smalls” was arrested in 1973.  Yet despite being involved in many violent crimes in London and the south-east area, he negotiated himself a deal with the Director of Public Prosecutions, Sir Norman Skelhorn, whereby he would go “QE”, which means to give Queen’s Evidence, in trials of his fellow-robbers in exchange for complete an utter immunity. [1a]  Although Smalls was generally described as Britain’s first supergrass, the former Flying Squad ‘governor’ from Scotland Yard, Detective Superintendent Leonard “Nipper” Read, always maintained it was Leslie Payne, adviser to the Kray twins, who gave evidence against them in 1969, who should have had the title.[1a] 

     In October 1967, Reggie Kray is alleged to have been encouraged by Ronnie to kill Jack “the Hat” McVitie, an associate of the Kray gang who had failed to fulfil a contract, which was to kill Leslie Payne.  Ronald Kray gave a gun and £100 to McVitie with instructions to murder Payne and the promise of a further £400 [2a] [some say it was more; £1,500[3a]] when the ‘job’ had taken place.  McVitie was lured to a basement flat in Evering Road, Hackney, and not far from where I was born and lived, on the pretence of a party.  As he entered, Reggie Kray pointed a handgun at his head and pulled the trigger twice, but the gun failed to discharge.  Ronnie then held McVitie in a bear-hug, whilst Reggie was handed a carving knife, and stabbed McVitie in the face and stomach, then driving the knife deep into his neck, whilst twisting the blade. [2a][4a]   

     As we know, according to the pathology report into Glenn Hollinshead’s death, there were four stab wounds and no defence marks.  If he too was held like that of McVitie, though obviously not in bear-hug from the front, but someone held Glenn’s arms from behind, this would account for the lack of defence wounds. 

     It seemed that “Smalls” had set a precedent, as many of his former ‘associates’ soon followed suit once the taboo of ‘grassing on your mates’ had been broken, and went; “QE”.  Whereas a few of them were given such favourable deals by the police and Crown, getting only five years, as opposed to the 18 or more years they could have normally expected.[1a] In 1972, Sir Robert Mark became Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police.  In that year alone the annual total of armed robberies in the London district was 380, partly because the culture was rife with bribe-taking, sharing in the proceeds of crime and “Verballing-up”, which means the police would say the “suspect” had confessed or said something they never did, or fabricating evidence against them. [5a] Sir Robert Mark felt compelled to remind his detectives which side of the law they were supposed to be on, he told them in his inaugural address: “A good police force is one that catches more criminals than it employs.”  It could be argued this wasn’t an exception and took place around the country and in other forces, though perhaps not on such as a grand scale. [5a] 

     Take Gary Padgett,[1] who exposed a gang in 2003, and who Stephen Kelsall, then aged 36, from Newcastle-under-Lyme, was part of, after Padgett’s mate and drug-dealer, Philip Smith, was shot dead near Bradford in 2002.  Padgett now needs 24/7 police protection, just like those people who are part of the ‘Witness Protection Programme’, they are given new identities if they so wish, and place’s to move to.  However, not all ‘Supergrasses’ are exposed as being so.  Many inform on other people to get a ‘lesser sentence’, and it’s done in such a way, the persons they have informed on, have no idea they have been ‘grassed-on’.  They might have an inclination they have been, though it’s so cleverly done, you’re always in doubt.  The police will make it appear you were caught simply as being part of the ‘obbo’, and that’s how it works.  Probably Britain’s most prolific modern day Supergrass was Michael Michael, whose evidence led to 34 people being jailed for 170 years, and the dismantling of 26 different drug gangs.  Information about Michael’s work as an informer, were kept secret until December 2001, when a judge at Woolwich Crown Court sentenced him to six years in jail.  Reporting restrictions that had been in place for three years were lifted.[2] 

     Michael’s evidence, led to drugs worth £49m being recovered from a distribution network that is thought to have smuggled more than 110 kg of cocaine and 19,000 kg of cannabis into Britain. Michael has also alleged that a corrupt police officer took £10,000 cash handouts from him. [2][3] Including drug smuggling, money laundering and prostitution, it brought him in an estimated fortune of £107million. Among the people Michael Michael had informed on, were his own wife Lynn, given a 24-month jail sentence suspended for two years for her role as a cash courier, and his younger brother, Xanthos, his lover Sue Richards, and Janice Marlborough, his business lieutenant who ran his string of brothels.  He admitted one count of conspiracy to import cocaine, a similar charge involving cannabis, and three conspiracies charges to launder the proceeds.  He has also pleaded guilty to possessing a firearm. [2][3] He is thought to have been given a new identity under the terms of the witness protection programme. [2][3]

     Michael’s was a former hairdresser who was ‘under obbo’, and who too became a target from customs detectives, that on the 25th April 1998, Customs investigators launched an “obbo” codenamed Operation Draft. [3] It uncovered 16kg of cocaine, 2.9 tons of cannabis worth £11.6 million, guns and £800,000 in cash.  He had been identified as a member of a drug ring, based at the Lee industrial estate in Hertfordshire.   They were smuggling cannabis and cocaine into the country in cars, a coach, nicknamed the Fun Bus, and an oil tanker.  When officers arrested him after four months, Michael’s was wearing body armour and brandished a gun.  Woolwich Crown Court heard that Michael’s alleged he was paying his ‘police handler’ up to £10,000 a week in return for providing information; “of great value”.  He claimed the officer turned a blind eye to the drug smuggling.  Tracey Kirby, 38, a former Sun page three model, received three years after admitting being a money courier for Michael’s. [4] In 1981 Christopher Black, after securing assurances that he would be granted immunity, he gave statements which led to 38 arrests. On 5 August 1983, 22 members of the Provisional IRA were sentenced to a total of more than 4,000 cumulative years in prison, based on Black’s testimonies alone [eighteen of these convictions were overturned on appeal on 17 July 1986]. [5] By the end of 1982, 25 more ‘Supergrasses’ had surfaced contributing to the arrests of over six hundred people.  Many convictions based on ‘Supergrass’ testimony were later overturned, and the ‘Supergrass’ system was discontinued in 1985, until re emerging recently, in 2011.  Though to get around this problem, many people are ‘grassed on’, though no testaments are used against then, though it’s normally enough to justify an ‘obbo’ on those the police now have such information on.  The first ‘Supergrass’ trial in 26 years began on the 8th of September 2011, for the murder of UDA member Tommy English. [5]





[4a] ^ Read, Leonard. Nipper Read, The Man Who Nicked The Krays. Time Warner Paperbacks 2001. p.291-292. ISBN 0-7515-3175-8



[2]  ^ a b c Gangster supergrass jailed | UK news | The Guardian

[3]  ^

[4]  ^ Supergrass shopped 34 crooks - even his mother | Mail Online

[5]  ^ Informers crippling IRA...; The Times; 25 Mar 1982; pg1 col E

 For much more details and photos etc. see:

Keep at it...

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,363
Reply with quote  #2 

Bertie Smalls: Quiet death of the original supergrass


Bertie Smalls was never supposed to die of natural causes. A career criminal who collaborated in a famous bank robbery – and then helped the police send his accomplices to prison – he had a price on his head for the last three decades of his life.

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 971
Reply with quote  #3 

IRA supergrass Raymond Gilmour has failed in his attempt to prove he was abandoned by his security services handlers.Gilmour claimed that after saving “countless lives” by passing on information to British intelligence services, he was left living in fear of assassination by his former associates in the republican movement. He was the only witness in a trial of 35 IRA and INLA suspects which collapsed in 1984.Gilmour said he joined the INLA in 1976 at the age of 17, as an RUC special branch agent. Four years later he moved to the IRA but his cover was blown two years later.,3702856

One of these days.....

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,014
Reply with quote  #4 
Good to see you back max [comp][thumb][wave]

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,014
Reply with quote  #5 
The Godfather took to the witness box during Paul's trial in 1992 and gave evidence for the prosecution against Ferris.

It turns out that the Godfather had been working for MI5 all along since the late 1960's.[sneaky][sneaky]


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,014
Reply with quote  #6 
An inglorious end to the shadowy life of a feared gangland criminal [comp][sneaky][comp][thumb][wave]
GERRY BRAIDEN July 31 2007

The ending of his life had no gory echoes of The Sopranos, Goodfellas, The Long Good Friday or popular culture gangsterism.

Like Arthur Thompson, the gangland godfather whose footsteps he followed in, Tam "The Licensee" McGraw died of a heart attack at the relatively young age of 54.

For a man synonymous with violence and organised crime in Scotland over the past 30 years, it was the inglorious end suffered by so many middle-aged men in Glasgow's east end and elsewhere in Scotland - a dodgy heart.

One of the wealthiest "businessmen" in Glasgow, he owned numerous businesses, from security companies to taxi firms to pubs, as well as a property portfolio in Scotland, Ireland and Spain with an estimated worth of �10m.

The real money came through his extortion and drug trafficking activities, which some sources claim were worth around �15m.

Born in Glasgow's east end in 1953, he became involved in low-level criminal activity including shoplifting and housebreaking during the early-1960s.

After several spells in approved schools and borstals during his teenage years he was recruited into the "Bar-l gang", based around the Barlanark area of Glasgow and specialising in armed robbery.

A willing and eager participant in the gang's post office raids throughout Scotland, he eventually became one of the most wanted criminals in the country but managed to evade police for some time before eventual arrest in a failed robbery of a social club outside Glasgow, as he loaded several crates of alcohol into his van.

Although McGraw was arrested while trying to flee on foot after his vehicle overturned during a brief high-speed chase, charges were dropped and he was released the following morning.

It was the beginning of the rumour mill, fuelled by both rivals and gangland contemporaries, that McGraw may have been a police informant, supplying information on associates in exchange for police protection from his own illegal activities. His trial and subsequent acquittal for the attempted murder of a police officer in 1978 did little to quell the speculation.
He was involved in dealing heroin due to his connections to corrupt police

By the time the early- 1980s had arrived, McGraw's criminal empire had begun expanding into the burgeoning heroin trade, the profits concealed through the purchase of nightclubs and pubs.

He was also identified as a figure in one of the most notorious incidents in Scotland during the 1980s, Glasgow's "Ice Cream Wars" which resulted in the murders of six members of the Doyle family in Ruchazie in the east end in 1984.

Thomas "TC" Campbell, who was later acquitted of the crime, has claimed in the past that McGraw had started the blaze.

It was also during this time that McGraw acquired the nickname "The Licensee", explanations for which vary.

According to some, the nickname followed his entry into the pub business and because he could obtain licences for taxis and ice cream vans.

Rivals say it was because he could commit offences without fear, in return for informing on others.

Paul Ferris, a one-time close accomplice who became arguably his biggest rival in Glasgow's world of organised crime, claimed in his autobiography that McGraw became involved in dealing heroin due to his connections to corrupt police officers, receiving confiscated drugs which he sold on the streets.

One of McGraw's businesses at that time was the Caravel Bar in Hallhill Road, Barlanark, held in the name of his wife, Margaret.

Next door was Mac Cabs, another firm held in his wife's name.

The Caravel was suddenly bulldozed after underworld informers gave police intelligence that it had played a role in the deaths of Joe "Bananas" Hanlon and Bobby Glover, who were executed with shots to the head either as revenge for the murder of Arthur "Fat Boy" Thompson, son of Arthur Thompson Sr, or because they were the only witnesses to the murder.

The timely demolition, it was suggested, ruled out a planned forensic investigation.

Mr McGraw made the headlines when in 1998 he was arrested for drug smuggling. He was at the centre of a 55-day trial at the High Court in Edinburgh, one of Scotland's longest and costliest drugs trials, during which it was alleged he bankrolled a massive drug-running operation between Morocco and Scotland. He was acquitted on a majority "not proven" verdict but several associates, including his brother-in-law, received lengthy jail terms.

The judge, Lord Bonomy, said the trial had shown "a disturbing example of organised crime in the midst of needy Glasgow communities".

Mr McGraw's counsel, Donald Findlay, QC, described him as an Arthur Daley figure "ducking and diving" in the black economy, and that, coupled with his legitimate business activities, explained why he was in possession of huge sums of money.

Following his acquittal he became increasingly elusive, spending more and more time on Ireland and Tenerife.

In 2002, he was involved in an altercation with his adversary Ferris, who later went back to prison for the brawl, suffering wounds to his arms, wrists and buttocks.

Although protected by a bulletproof vest, he had received only minor injuries.

He later reportedly held a meeting with Ferris, with whom he had been feuding for some time over the allegations in his book, and agreed to pay him �2m in compensation for his losses following McGraw's takeover of his territory while imprisoned.

His right-hand man Billy McPhee was stabbed to death while watching football in a packed pub in Ballieston, in the east end.

McPhee had survived being shot in the face just four months earlier.

He also had a major fall-out with his lieutenant and brother-in-law John Healy. There was an attempt on his life in the Royal Oak pub in Nitshill, on Glasgow's southern boundary, in 2004, during which two men, John McCartney and Craig Devlin, were seriously wounded.

The pub mysteriously burnt down a month later.

In 2005 a bankruptcy case against McGraw was lifted after a hearing at the Court of Session, bringing to an end an investigation into his financial affairs during which he declared his assets.

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.