CLEARED Ice Cream Wars accused Thomas TC Campbell has died aged 66.

Cops are investigating the unexplained death of Mr Campbell after he was discovered dead in his bed in his rural cottage. The Daily Record reports that he died in his sleep. 

Evening Times:

TC Campbell is pictured with wife Karen after release. 

It is understood he was discovered by his ex-wife Karen, 49, at the property near Dunoon, Argyll on Monday morning. She had not spoken to him since May. 

Forensic officers were seen at the property yesterday. Police Scotland have not confirmed Mr Campbell has died yet. 

It is not known how long he was dead before the discovery was made. The Scottish Sun report that he failed to reply to a Father's Day message sent by his daughter Shannon, 21. 

His wife told the newspaper: "I found him on Monday morning. I was hysterical. He was lying in bed and seemed peaceful — I didn’t want to look.

"We are waiting to find out how he died. I went up there because people hadn’t heard from him.


"I’m just in shock and it hasn’t sank in yet. We always said Tommy was invincible, that all of us would pass away and he’d still be walking about.

"Up there in his checked shirt, cutting the logs. He was happy up there, it was where he always wanted to be.

"He deserved it after everything he had been through. We hadn’t actually seen him since May but that was normal, he was always on the go, down to the shops, walking the dogs.

"He lived a quiet country life, he’d always wanted that. But my daughter was so close to him and was concerned after he didn’t reply to her Father’s Day message – that wasn’t like him.”

Evening Times:

Evening Times front page on April 16, 1984. 

Mr Campbell and his co-accused Joe Steele spent 18 years in prison for the murder of six people in the fire-bombing of a flat in Ruchazie. Petrol was poured into the tenement flat where the Doyle family lived on April 16, 1984.

Evening Times:

Baby Mark Doyle 

Evening Times:

The Doyle Family 

Dad James, 53, sons James jnr, 23, Andrew, 18, Anthony 14, daughter Christina Halleran, 25, and her 18-month-old tot Mark Doyle died in the fire.

Mum Lillian was saved by firefighters. 

Evening Times:

Evening Times:

Evening Times:

Hundreds wait outside St Philips Church after the funerals of the six members of the Doyle family.

The murder was linked to turf wars for ice cream vans which were selling drugs. The innocent family were said to have been targeted after they refused to give up their ice-cream van route in Garthamlock. The ice cream vans were used as a front by gangsters to sell drugs. 

Evening Times: Thomas T.C. Campbell (left) with Joseph Steele outside Edinburgh High Court

Evening Times:

Campbell and Steele, above, were convicted and jailed for life.

They both protested their innocence from day one. Campbell even went on a hunger strikes. 

Evening Times:

Evening Times:

TC Campbell inside Police Headquarters on Pitt Street with Aamar Anwar.

The pair were cleared after a successful appeal in 2004. He was awarded £1.2 million over the miscarriage of justice. 

Mr Campbell's lawyer Aamer Anwar said he was heartbroken over the news.

He said: "I’m heartbroken at the news of Tommy’s death.

"The Ice Cream Wars case was a monument to the barbaric failures of a justice system which incarcerated two innocent men for the murder of six members of the Doyle family, but Tommy Campbell represented the inherent ability of the human spirit to fight for freedom and overcome injustice.

"As young lawyer at the start of my career it was an honour to be asked by TC to take on his appeal.

"I still remember the day he walked into my office, with a glint in his eye and a cheeky smile.

"He was a giant of a man, who despite being imprisoned, refused to give up, fighting the judiciary and a corrupt police force.

"In 2004 I stood on the steps of the Appeal court and said that, ‘After 20 years of hunger strikes, 16 years in prison, breakouts, demonstrations, political pressure, solitary isolation, prison bearings and legal fight after legal fight, Tommy Campbell is finally free.’

"For Tommy his struggle was so much more than just about him, it was about the pursuit of justice for the Doyle family.

"I hope now that TC is truly free and can be at peace.

"What makes me sad is that this man who had his life taken from him never received the recognition and apology he deserved."

Mr Campbell served sentences before he was jailed in the 80s. 

He grew up in Carntyne in the East End of the city. He was born in Cowcaddens. 

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "Police enquiries are continuing after a man, believed to be in his 60s, was found dead within a house near Loch Eck on Monday, June 24.

"A post-mortem will take place in due course to establish the circumstances of the death, which police are currently treating as unexplained.

"A report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal."