The Ferris Conspiracy Forum
Sign up  |   |   |  Calendar

  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 7      1   2   3   4   Next   »

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 815
Reply with quote  #1 

The Times September 20, 2006

Brazilian cleaner in love triangle with judges is accused of video blackmail

A BRAZILIAN cleaner who became involved in a love triangle with two judges blackmailed one of them after stealing home videos of him having sex with two women, a jury heard yesterday.

She also tried to extort thousands of pounds from the other judge, a woman, by threatening to tell Lord Falconer of Thoroton, the Lord Chancellor, that she had worked at her home illegally for nearly five years, it was claimed.

David Markham, for the prosecution, told the Old Bailey that the 37-year-old defendant had threatened to expose the complex private lives of the judges, who had once lived together as lovers. She tried to get £20,000 from the female judge and a rent-free home from the male judge after having a sexual relationship with him, it was claimed.

At the start of the trial Judge Peter Beaumont, the Recorder of London, imposed an order banning the identification of both the judges and the defendant; the female judge was named only as J and the man was called I.

The cleaner, who arrived in Britain in 1998, began cleaning Miss J’s home in October 1999, working three hours twice a week, although she did not have a work permit. She later began to work at Judge I’s home. Both judges had remained close friends after their sexual relationship ended.

In 2004, Miss J sacked the Brazilian after becoming unhappy with her work, Mr Markham said. The cleaner then began a sexual relationship with Mr I and moved in with him.

Mr Markham said that the “emotional triangle” culminated at Christmas 2004 with Miss J discovering the pair in bed at his home.   Mr I told Miss J that he would end his relationship with the Brazilian, but instead the relationship escalated, Mr Markham claimed.

“The defendant had reason to dislike Miss J, who had dismissed her from her job and in her eyes had been responsible for the attempted break-up of her relationship with Mr I,” Mr Markham said. “This is the tangled background against which the defendant first decided to extort money from Miss J with menaces and then make demands from Mr I.”

The court heard that the cleaner wrote to Miss J saying that she had contacted Lord Falconer to say that she had worked as Miss J’s cleaner despite not having a work permit. Judge J admitted that she had paid the cleaner between £5 and £7 per hour in cash.

The cleaner said that she would drop her case if she received £20,000. She also threatened to go to the press, said Mr Markham. “By the middle of 2005 the situation between Mr I and the defendant was emotionally messy,” he said. The defendant remained at Mr I’s home as an unwanted, rent-free guest, he added.

After a trip abroad, Mr I returned home to discover that the cleaner had stolen two video cassettes.

“The cassettes showed Mr I in sexual activity with one or more women,” Mr Markham said. “He wanted the tapes back but she said she would pass the tapes to his employers.”

Mr Markham emphasised that neither judge had had any involvement in the Brazilian’s immigration application. Both judges also deny being aware that the woman did not have a work permit. Giving evidence, Miss J said: “It’s been fairly shattering because I believed the threats she made, particularly writing to the Lord Chancellor’s Department. The possibility of publicity made me feel ill.”

Miss J said that she thought that the cleaner was motivated by “pure viciousness”.   Asked by Frances Oldham, QC, for the defence, whether she had flown into a jealous rage after discovering that Mr I had become her cleaner’s new sexual partner, she replied: “Certainly not.”

Miss J denied ever being filmed taking cocaine or having sex. She also rejected the suggestion that she had called the cleaner a “bitch and Brazilian whore”.   She admitted that after breaking up with Mr I she began a relationship with a senior judge, a married father no longer living with his wife.

The cleaner denies blackmailing Miss J with menaces and blackmailing Mr I so that she could stay at his home and get £20,000 from Miss J between January and October 2005. She also denies stealing two videos belonging to Mr I between January and October 2005.

The case continues.


Times Online September 21, 2006

'Chilli Hot' Brazilian 'blackmailed lover judge with sex videos'

Roselane Driza

An immigration judge told a blackmail trial at the Old Bailey today how he started an affair with his "chilli hot" Brazilian cleaner who was working in Britain illegally.

Roselane Driza, 37, threatened to send two stolen videos of the judge, identified only by the initial I, having intimate relations with two other women, to his superiors when he asked her to move out of his flat, the court heard.

She was first introduced to I by his former lover, another judge, know as J. The two judges were colleagues at the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal and lived together between 1995 and 2000.

When J sacked the cleaner, I thought it "prudent" to end Ms Driza’s employment with him as well. But later judge and cleaner became lovers and she moved into his flat - later refusing to leave, the court was told.

Ms Driza has denied blackmailing both J and I and the theft of the videos during 2005.

Judge I said after he ended her employment, Ms Driza turned up at his flat. Their meeting had been "amicable and friendly. We had made a coffee and she left saying the words to the effect ‘see you again’."

A week or two later she came round again. "It became clear she wanted to pursue J for what she claimed to be compensation for unfair dismissal. I started seeing her socially," said Judge I.               Asked by David Markham, QC, whether socially became "intimately as well?" the judge replied: "Yes it did. She stayed at my place. I did not tell J about the relationship at that stage."

But around Christmas in 2004 J had called on him one evening and found him in bed with Ms Driza, it was said.

When he saw J the next day - "she was pretty appalled that I had lied to her. Although we were not living together we were still good friends. The defendant continued to live with me for some time, but eventually I persuaded her to leave the flat. J and I were really good friends and I did not want to jeopardise that."

With a great deal of effort he persuaded her to leave. She had a key to the flat but judge I had the locks changed after she left.

But one evening she returned. "There was a knock on the door. It was her. I let her in. I let her sleep in the spare room. I expected her to go the next day."

But instead she stayed for months against his wishes, said the judge. When he made it clear he did not want her there, he claimed she told him she would not go and if he tried to do anything she would tell the Lord Chancellor that she had been illegally employed by J and himself.

She claimed she had been to the House of Commons and posted letters to the Prime Minister, Home Secretary and others and that she had a contract with a newspaper prepared to pay her £20,000 for her story.

Judge I said J was angry and depressed about Ms Driza's threats, although she did not owe her former cleaner any money and had no reason to fear anything.

Ms Driza was staying at his flat rent free, said the judge. He paid all the bills and did most of the shopping.

In July last year, judge I went on a two-week holiday with judge J to Canada. Ms Driza was still there when they returned and she told Judge I that she had videos of him having sex with other women, the court heard.

Judge I told the court there were two videos containing similar types of material - intimate relations between him and two separate women.

"I told her I wanted the videos. She said she had taken them and that ‘they are my defence.’"

She said she had wrapped them and left them with a friend with instructions what to do with them if anything happened to her, according to judge I. He said the videos had never been returned.

Ms Driza was arrested on October 25, 2005, while still at his flat.

Asked by Frances Oldham QC, defending, why he was still sleeping with her in 2005, I replied: "For the reason I told you - because of the threats she made against me. I did not want her to pursue them."

Judge I sent two passionate emails to Ms Driza during their affair, describing her as "real chilli hot stuff".

He wrote: "Darling you will probably get this tomorrow after we have spent an evening in passionate kisses. I was right about wanting to go with you when I first saw you. You must admit you were a bit cool. You are real chilli hot stuff. I love you very much."

The case continues.



The Times September 22, 2006

The two judges, the cleaner, and a 'chilli-hot' affair laid bare in court

Roselane Driza, a Brazilian immigrant who denies blackmailing two judges, at the Old Bailey (Photo: Leon Neal)
A JUDGE told a jury yesterday of his horror at discovering that a Brazilian cleaner he was sleeping with had stolen his home-made sex videos and was blackmailing him.

The immigration judge, who nicknamed Roselane Driza, an immigrant who was his former lover, “real chilli-hot stuff”, said he was “absolutely petrified” that she would send Lord Falconer of Thoroton, the Lord Chancellor, recordings of him having “intimate relations” with two women, including another Asylum and Immigration Tribunal judge.

Miss Driza, 37, is accused of blackmailing the male judge to live rent-free at his home, and of extorting £20,000 from the female judge, who had employed her illegally.

Giving evidence on the third day of the trial, the male judge, named only as Mr I for legal reasons, said that he returned from a trip abroad and discovered that two sex videos had vanished from the home he was sharing with Miss Driza.

“I was absolutely petrified,” he told the Old Bailey. “She told me about scenes from the video. She was saying something about my having slept with other women on the video cassettes.

“I told her I wanted the videos. Her reaction at that stage was that she had taken them and they were her defence. She said she had wrapped them up and left them with a friend with instructions of what to do if anything happened to her.” The tapes had not been recovered, he added.

Miss Driza, whose identity was revealed after Judge Peter Beaumont, the Recorder of London, lifted an order banning publication of her name, came to Britain in 1998 and began working as a home help for the female judge, named in court as Miss J.      Mr I and Miss J had lived together for five years before separating in 2000. They remained close friends. The next year Miss Driza began cleaning Mr I’s house and in 2004 they started a relationship and she moved in with him.

Asked by David Markham, for the prosecution, about the videos, Mr I said: “I had bought this video camera and was playing with it and they were images one doesn’t want . . . I feared that she was going to send them to the Lord Chancellor’s Department, to my superiors, if I didn’t get Miss J to pay up.” Miss J has previously denied being filmed having sex.

During cross-examination by Frances Oldham, QC, for the defence, Mr I became increasingly irritated about questions concerning deeply intimate text messages and e-mails that he had sent to Miss Driza.

The court was told that in December 2004 he sent a text thanking her for “delicious” sex. Another mentioned her pubic hair style. One said: “I am lying in the arms of my lovely love. She’s a beauty and sexy. X”. Another read: “You’re a lovely shag. Miss you already.”

One e-mail, sent from his office, said that he had wanted to have sex with Miss Driza when he first saw her at Miss J’s home.

Mr I said that having a relationship with the cleaner was “one of the many stupid things I have done in my life”, adding that he continued to sleep with her in an attempt to stop her blackmailing Miss J. “It was a stupid mistake. She was a companion. I was vulnerable. I was lonely,” he said.

Mrs Oldham said: “Your motivation for being friendly with the defendant was for your own selfish reasons. You were using her as a cheap housekeeper with whom you were able to enjoy a full sexual relationship.”

The prosecution claims that Miss J sacked Miss Driza after becoming dissatisfied with her work. Miss Driza denies blackmailing Miss J by threatening to tell Lord Falconer that she worked as her cleaner for almost five years without a work permit. She also denies stealing two cassettes to blackmail Mr I.     


E-mail to Roselane Driza, November 22, 2004:
“Hello my love, I don’t know if you will access this e-mail but I thought I would send it to you anyway so you have my e-mail address at work, I tend to use it more often.      Thank you for a very lovely evening and you looked so beautiful. Miss J has every right to be jealous, but we won’t go on about her.

It’s a great pity I can’t see you during the weekdays but it would be nice see you on Saturday and I will teach you how to cook a curry.

Love, Mr I”

E-mail to Miss Driza, December 1, 2004:
“Darling, you will probably get this tomorrow after we have spent an evening of passionate kissing. I was right about wanting to go with you when I first saw you.

I must admit you were a bit cool. Anyway, you are real chilli-hot stuff and I love you very much.”

Texts to Miss Driza, December 2004
“I am lying in the arms of my lovely love. She’s a beauty and sexy. X”.

“You’re a lovely shag. Miss you already.” 



The Times September 23, 2006

Cleaner's 'shock' at judges' sex tape

Roselane Driza, a Brazilian cleaner accused of blackmailing two judges, arrives at the Old Bailey (Photo: Ben Gurr)
A BRAZILIAN cleaner told a jury yesterday of the moment she discovered a home-made video of two judges having sex while one snorted cocaine.

Wearing silvery kitten-heeled shoes, an ankle bracelet, a flamboyant white dress and with designer sunglasses perched on her head, Roselane Driza told the Old Bailey that she was furious when she found that the judge she was living and sleeping with had a collection of pornographic videos.

Giving evidence through an interpreter on her first day in the witness box, Miss Driza denied stealing the videos and using them to blackmail two immigration judges with whom she was locked in a love triangle. She rejected prosecution claims that she had tried to extort £20,000 from the woman judge to stop her from revealing how she had been employed illegally for five years as her cleaner.

Instead, Miss Driza, 37, insisted that the judge, named as Miss J, should pay her £100,000 for psychological damage and racial discrimination after calling her “Brazilian bitch”.

Miss Driza said she had found the first sex video in August last year after the judge she was sleeping with, named as Mr I, had returned property they shared following his short holiday abroad.

Thinking the cassette was of his trip she watched it but saw Mr I in bed with a blonde. She said she felt shocked, betrayed and angry. Two weeks later she found a video showing Miss J and Mr I who had been lovers and lived together.

“I was furious with him because he was keeping an old cassette about an old relationship when he was with me.

“He asked for the cassettes back and I said I would give him the one of the blonde but not the one of Miss J. What I saw on that video made me angry and frightened. It seemed me that Miss J was taking cocaine and he was close to her.

“He said the cassette wasn’t made here but in Thailand and there was not any problem with that [cocaine use].” After her arrest in October 2005 she said she destroyed the videos to honour her promise to him that no one would see them.

Miss J earlier said she had not taken cocaine or ever knowingly been filmed having sex. Mr I said making the films was an act of stupidity.

The court has heard that Mr I fell for Miss Driza whom he nicknamed “real chilli-hot stuff” after seeing her at Miss J’s home soon after she began work there in 1999 despite not having a work permit.

Miss Driza recalled him “observing” her while she was ironing. Mr I then employed her at his home from 2000-2003. Mr I and Miss J had lived together for five years but had split up in 2000. In 2004 Miss J phoned Miss Driza’s answer machine and sacked her without explaining why. Miss Driza wrote to her later asking for £1,400, money she said she was owed for holidays and a month’s notice. Miss Driza said that Miss J, who remained close friends with Mr I after they split up, was jealous when she realised her former cleaner had begun a relationship with the judge. She said “even today” she is emotionally scarred after Miss J “lost control” during a phone conversation with her about her sacking and swore at her.

Asked by Frances Oldham, QC, for the defence, about a letter she wrote to Miss J demanding £20,000 compensation — the documentary evidence at the heart of the blackmail case, she said she now felt that figure should be £100,000.

She said she reached the amount because of Miss J’s racist remarks about her, stress caused, obscene names and psychological damage she had suffered. “She would say I was dirty from foot to head, that I didn’t wash my hair and that I seemed a bit crazy and that perhaps I consumed drugs.”

She said Miss J had treated her like an animal when she threw her out of the house after the judge returned home with her new lover, another immigration judge, and found Miss Driza ironing.

Miss Driza denies two charges of blackmail with menaces and stealing two videos between January and October 2005.




Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,065
Reply with quote  #2 

In 1992, files were stolen from their HQ in a scandal which became known as Fettesgate.

The raiders rifled through top-secret documents while night staff worked on the other side of a doorway.

Among the files stolen was a report into an alleged 'magic circle' of gay judges in the force area allegations later found to be unproven.

In the fall-out from the row, many senior CID officers were demoted, moved or retired.

Closed-circuit TV and floodlighting were brought in, along with other security measures at the HQ.

But this did not stop further embarrassment a year later when a bug, fitted into a plug socket, was discovered in the control room.






It's magic for judge.(News)

From: Daily Record

The senior lawman who cleared the legal profession of a gay conspiracy in the "Magic Circle" probe was installed as a judge yesterday.

William Nimmo Smith, 53, who took the title Lord Nimmo Smith, is a former Crown prosecutor.

He was also in charge of the inquiry into claims of nepotism at the former Monklands District Council.


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,065
Reply with quote  #3 

Cheating judge faces misconduct charge after vengeful husband murders own daughter.

Last updated at 23:19pm on 2nd November 2006

Amelia Hall

Murdered in revenge: three-year-old Amelia Hall was killed by her own father

The cheating wife - Joanne Hall (left), the killer husband - Gavin Hall (above right), and the shamed judge - James Muir-Little

A judge whose affair with a married woman drove her jealous husband to murder is facing the prospect of a disciplinary inquiry into his behaviour.

James Muir-Little, 45, cheated on his wife with Joanne Hall, 31, after meeting her through an Internet site for 'swingers'.

Mrs Hall's husband Gavin is beginning a life sentence for murder after he cold-bloodedly killed the couple's three-year-old daughter Amelia to punish his wife for the affair.

Hospital radiographer Hall, 33, smothered and strangled Amelia - known as Millie - after giving her anti-depressant pills to make her drowsy.

He then texted his wife, who was asleep upstairs with the couple's younger daughter Lucy, to say he had taken Millie's life as revenge for her 'deceit'.

He also texted Mr Muir-Little to make it clear he was also to blame, then tried unsuccessfully to commit suicide by cutting his wrists. His wife found what was described as "a scene of horror" when she awoke the next morning.

Yesterday Hall trembled and wept in the dock at Northampton Crown Court as a jury unanimously convicted him of murder, rejecting his claims that he was suffering from an "abnormality of mind" after reading "extraordinarily sexually explicit" e-mail exchanges between his wife and Mr Muir-Little.

Hall's estranged wife Joanne, who is in the process of divorcing him, raised a slight smile as the verdict was delivered.

Judge Charles Wide QC sentenced Hall, of Irchester, Northants, to life imprisonment with a minimum term of 15 years.

He told Hall: "It has been said, and it is true, that you will have to live for the rest of your life with what you did."

Mr Muir-Little, who lives near Faversham, Kent, with his wife Jane and two daughters, met Mrs Hall twice for sex in hotels after they swapped naked pictures of each other online and exchanged e-mails in which Mrs Hall said she would be a "dirty little slut" for him.

Hall discovered his wife's affair in October last year but was reassured by her that the fling was over.

He later discovered text messages proving she was still in touch with Mr Muir-Little and knew she was planning to move into rented accommodation with her daughters.

In the early hours of November 29 last year Hall woke Millie, dressed her in her favourite nightdress and gave her pills to make her sleepy, then held a rag soaked in chloroform over her mouth to suffocate her. He then arranged her body under a duvet with her teddy.

Mr Muir-Little, a solicitor specialising in divorce law, qualified as a deputy district judge, sitting in county courts on the south-east circuit, on the day after Millie's murder.

Yesterday a spokesman for the Office for Judicial Complaints said an investigation into Mr Muir-Little's behaviour would be considered if a complaint was made about him or if the Lord Chancellor or Lord Chief Justice saw fit to mount their own investigation.

However, such action remains confidential unless and until a judge is found guilty of bringing the profession into disrepute, and the OJC could not confirm whether Mr Muir-Little was under investigation.

If an inquiry is launched, Mr Muir-Little would become the third judge in recent weeks to come under investigation over their private life.

Last month the Department for Constitutional Affairs announced that it was investigating two immigration judges who employed an illegal immigrant as a cleaner.

Brazilian Roselane Driza was jailed last month for blackmailing a female judge, known as 'Judge J' who she claimed had been caught on video snorting cocaine. She was also found guilty of stealing two home-made sex tapes from her former lover Judge Mohammed Ilyas Khan, who was also sleeping with Judge J.

The Law Society, which regulates solicitors, said it had no plans to investigate Mr Muir-Little, as the affair was "part of his private life".

Yesterday Joanne Hall, a cardiac nurse who has reverted to her maiden name of Rainsley, paid tribute to her "beautiful little girl".

She said: "My children, Millie and Lucy, were our pride and the love and joy of our lives. It is incomprehensible to us as to how anyone under such circumstances could deliberately take away such a beautiful little girl as Millie.

"Millie will always be remembered as a happy, lively and beautiful little girl and I am proud to have been her mum.

"Assisted by my family, as always, my focus now will be to devote attention to Lucy who has mercifully survived this ordeal. It will be my intention to ensure that she carries only the positive memories that we all share of Millie.

"With the huge cloud of the trial over we will hopefully be able to bring back to the forefront of our minds the wonderful times Millie brought us."

As a lasting tribute to her daughter, Mrs Hall said a cherry blossom tree would now be planted in their village in her memory.


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #4 

Dead judge's lover wins second inquest...

Last updated at 22:17pm on 3rd November 2006

Judge Andrew Chubb died in a massive explosion.

For the past two days, Kerry Sparrow’s friends have been telling her to crack open the champagne.

After winning an extraordinary five-year legal battle this week, she has, after all, every reason to celebrate.

But though many emotions have been swirling around in Kerry’s mind, pride and joy are not among them.

For the one person with whom Kerry would wish to celebrate her victory is dead. Kerry’s lover, Andrew Chubb, died in a fireball in the garden shed at his £1million Somerset home in July 2001.

It’s for his sake that Kerry has waged a remorseless battle to reopen the inquest into the judge’s death in a bid to discover once and for all how precisely he met his end.

"I know he’d be proud of me," says Kerry, 37, quietly. "He's up there smiling down at me. I loved Andrew - I always will."

"And he deserved justice. He believed passionately in the law and was a stickler for rules. He would have been utterly disgusted at the way he was let down in death."

Andrew Chubb, 58, died in a massive explosion in his garden shed less than two hours after asking his wife of 33 years for a divorce so that he could be with Kerry.

The inquest, five months later, decided that Mr Chubb - an orderly man and meticulous in his attention to detail - allowed a spark from his sit-on lawnmower to ignite petrol cans stored neatly in the garage.

The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Kerry was horrified but was equally determined to fight the verdict and prove the police investigation was fatally flawed.

She may "only" have been Mr Chubb’s mistress, but, listening to her, there is not a scintilla of doubt that she truly adored Andrew.

Barely 5ft 2in and blonde, by her own admission she does not immediately come across as a hard-bitten courtroom scrapper.

But Kerry, a legal executive who has given up work to fight the case on Legal Aid, has backbone.

Her titanic battle has revealed a staggering catalogue of errors. Andrew’s body was released for cremation without a forensic post mortem.

Blood samples were not taken and his lungs were not examined, making it impossible to obtain a definitive cause of death.

Vital witnesses were not traced and the remains of the shed were bulldozed the day after the fire - at his widow’s request.

Last week in the High Court, it emerged that forensic samples were never taken from Andrew’s widow, Jennifer Chubb, a former nurse and Red Cross volunteer who has now moved to Australia after inheriting her husband’s £1million estate.

Nor were Jennifer’s clothes examined.

In May 2002, Mrs Chubb - who police have discovered was also having an affair - was arrested and interviewed under caution on suspicion of murder and perjury in connection with her evidence at the inquest.

The Crown Prosecution Service ruled that she should not be charged.

But this week, the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Phillips, ordered a fresh inquest into Andrew’s mysterious death after Kerry employed her own experts to disprove the original verdict of accidental death.

"I’m exhausted but it’s all been worth it," says Kerry, who has been supported not just by her own family, but by Andrew’s sister, Rosemary, and brother, Nigel.

"At last we’ll know what really happened that night."

It was at a works drinks party in Exeter in 1996 that Kerry met Andrew, a prominent lawyer who had been a prosecutor in the Rosemary West trial.

"Andrew was warm, funny and sweet - a thoroughly nice man," recalls Kerry, fondly.

However, although they exchanged phone numbers, there was no hint of romance.

After all, he was more than 20 years older than her and a married father of three children, Tom, now 36, Charles, 33, and Harriet, 28.

Kerry was a single mother. Her daughter, Sabina, was then just seven. There wasn’t much time for romance.

Then, in August 1999, Andrew rang to say that he been made a judge and had set up a second home, a two-bedroom flat, in Portsmouth - some 30 miles from Kerry’s home.

"He invited me to dinner," she says. "It was supposed to be just two friends getting together - but we clicked instantly."

"Within a month they were lovers."

Naturally, Kerry was concerned about Andrew’s wife, but she is adamant that his marriage was dead.

"I always vowed I would never have a relationship with a married man, but he told me that he and Jennifer had not had a physical relationship for 20 years: they didn’t kiss, they didn’t even touch. He was embarrassed and tearful, and I never doubted him."

It’s tempting to wonder why, if the marriage was so loveless, Andrew hadn’t left his wife years before.

"He didn’t have the confidence," Kerry says. "He may have been a high-powered judge, witty and eloquent, but his self-esteem was at rock bottom."

Once with Kerry, however, he made no secret of their relationship during the time he spent with her in Hampshire. "We walked in the street hand in hand," she says. "Andrew always referred to me as his 'partner'. He’d have been mortifed that, since his death, I’ve been classed as the 'mistress' as though I’m some sort of scarlet woman."

"Andrew was incredibly romantic. He sent me the sweetest cards and e-mails. I’ve kept them all." "He called me 'my darling'. It was the most perfect love story."

Andrew returned to his sprawling 19th-century farmhouse in Leigh, near Chard, Somerset, most weekends.

But he and Kerry spent at least three nights a week together - and talked endlessly on the phone even when Andrew was in the same house as his wife.

"She was too uninterested in Andrew to be suspicious," says Kerry firmly. "We were happy as we were."

However, it seems that Andrew found it harder and harder to live a double life.

By 2001, he told Kerry that he would ask his wife for a divorce when his youngest daughter, Harriet, graduated from Edinburgh University that summer.

"It was a huge step and I made it clear that I didn’t want it to change anything," says Kerry.

"I didn’t want to put pressure on him to move in with me. He seemed relieved."

But on July 1, 2001, he decided to come clean with his wife. "He came to see me the next day," says Kerry.

"He said his wife was utterly cool with him. All she wanted to know was how much money he gave me. Her view seemed to be: I was younger than him, what else could I possibly see in him?"

"Then she told him that she’d known from their wedding day she didn’t love him. That was something he’d always suspected - and he knew she'd had at least two affairs, which crucified him."

"But it made him utterly determined to leave her. I think he was relieved it was out in the open."

Andrew spent one more week at home with his wife, which proved to be a disturbing experience - so much so that Andrew couldn’t bring himself to discuss it with Kerry in detail.

Andrew seemed particularly worried that his wife would discover a phone bill for £200 that he’d paid for Kerry - a rare gesture.

But, whether or not Andrew - who was barely 5ft 7in tall - was frightened of a further confrontation with his wife, he decided to return home a few weeks later, on Friday, July 27, 2001.

He was determined once again to ask for a divorce. Fatefully, he also promised Kerry he would bring her a lawnmower from his home.

Kerry and Andrew had spent the previous night together at her home.

They had made love and awoke, as usual, in each other’s arms.

"As he went downstairs I called out: 'Good luck'," recalls Kerry.

"He came back, gave me one last kiss and said: 'I love you so much.' That was the last time I saw him."

Andrew phoned her, as usual, several times that day.

In his last call he said: 'You know I adore you.'

Then he told Kerry he’d ring her before he went to bed as he always did. "That was 7pm," she says. "We never spoke again."

Less than two hours after walking through his front door in Somerset, Andrew Chubb was dead.

According to his wife and reports from the fire brigade and police, he told his wife that he wanted a divorce.

He then walked out of the house saying he wanted to mow the lawn - despite the fact that he employed a gardener who had cut the grass just two days earlier.

Some time later, Mrs Chubb went out to find him to prolong the discussion. Finding the doors of the flimsy wooden garden shed closed, she opened them and noticed Andrew preparing the sit-on lawnmower.

She apparently told Andrew she would agree to a divorce, but wanted him to sort out matters relating to the house rather than going back to Portsmouth and leaving it all to her.

She then returned to the house and prepared herself a meal. As she ate, she heard a "whoosh" and looked out of the window to see the shed "engulfed in flames."

She grabbed the phone and tried to call the police.

Although she later claimed she must have pressed the wrong button and had not got through, it is now clear from emergency services records that the line was connected but Mrs Chubb did not speak to the operator or ask for assistance.

The phone was later found thrown into the garden.

Mrs Chubb then screamed at the first person she saw, her neighbour’s boyfriend, to call the fire brigade.

Intriguingly, she told him that her husband had committed suicide - a conversation picked up by the emergency services through the open line on the phone lying nearby.

It was a statement Mrs Chubb flatly denied at the inquest - leading to her later arrest for perjury, although she was never charged.

In fact, Andrew apparently abhorred suicide so much he even refused to attend the funeral of a friend because he had abandoned his family by killing himself.

Meanwhile, at home in Hampshire, Kerry, was frantic with worry. "Andrew rang without fail every night before he went to bed," she says.

"When the call didn't come, I was sick with worry. I barely slept."

The following afternoon, Kerry could bear it no longer. She rang Andrew’s home. The call went unanswered.

Two minutes later her own phone rang.

Running to grab the receiver, she was convinced it was Andrew. Instead, it was a police officer, who coldly informed her that her lover was dead. "I collapsed," she says. "I was in utter shock. I had to be tranquillised."

The next day the police called for a statement and an officer coolly announced: "We will never know what caused the fire."

"I knew something was wrong," she says. "Common sense tells you that in a sudden death in extraordinary circumstances, police should investigate every possibility."

"I begged them, but I was sidelined. After all, I was just the mistress."

After his death, Kerry refused to make a claim on Andrew’s estate.

As a result she has been left with the most pathetic of mementoes: a shirt, a trunkload of letters, cards and e-mails, two photographs - and the lawnmower which he had promised to give her.

It was discovered on the lawn after his death, ready for him to transport.

"I will never part with it," she says. "It’s more precious than anything to me."

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,065
Reply with quote  #5 




A SHAMED sheriff has confessed to paying for sex in a sauna.

Hugh Neilson said a naked hooker gave him a massage before he paid her for full sex.

He said: "I had sexual intercourse with her. I paid for it."

The confession was made by Neilson, 52, as police gathered intelligence on sex-for-sale saunas and massage parlours. It is being used in the prosecution of an alleged sauna owner, who has made an initial court appearance.

In a police interview, the married church elder told how he visited a sauna on four occasions. The sex-for-sale sauna in question, which cannot be named for legal reasons, is NOT the Royale in Glasgow, where he was caught in a police raid wearing just a towel.

At that time, he claimed he had gone there to have a shave.

Now the sordid truth of his other visits can be revealed by the Sunday Mail.

In a summary of his statement drawn up FROM PAGE ONE by police, Neilson says: "I have been asked to discuss the sauna.

"I have been there three times ... no, four.

"I had been seeking a massage and some female company.

"On one of the occasions, the masseuse started to rub her breasts up and down me.

"I had sexual intercourse with her. I paid for it."

Neilson resigned as a sheriff in January while suspended on the orders of Scotland's two most senior judges.

It came in the middle of an investigation into his "fitness for office", which was being carried out by Lord Cullen, the Lord President, and Lord Gill, the Lord Justice Clerk.

By standing down in January, Neilson, a father-of-two, stopped the probe in its tracks and at the same time protected his valuable pension. But he lost his £113,121-a-year salary.

It also stopped him having to face awkward questions about his visit to the Royale.

We can reveal he has now landed a job as a solicitor with Glasgow legal firm Harper Macleod A statement on the firm's website announced his appointment as a litigation consultant, saying: "Hugh has 19 years' experience as a solicitor in private practice before becoming a sheriff at Hamilton Sheriff Court."

His statement is likely to be used in the Crown prosecution of the alleged sauna owner which has already started.

Neilson could even be asked to appear in court to give evidence in person during the case.

On Friday, a Mail investigator visited the sauna in question and paid a £10 entrance free.

He met two hookers, one aged aged 30 and another aged around 40.

The older woman showed him into a "red room" which had a tacky four-poster-style bed with a canopy surrounded by fairy lights.

The hooker, who called herself Shelley, said: "The prices are £50 for straight sex. Anything above that costs extra.

"If you want anything kinky, that will cost extra as well."

Shelley also claimed there would normally be four girls working but some of them hadn't turned up for work that day.

After being shown round the sauna, our man politely made his excuses and left.

When asked yesterday at his £500,000 house in Airdrie about the disclosures he made in the police statement, Neilson said: "It is not something I am inclined to talk about.

"The whole episode is in the past, as far as I am concerned.

"I am going about my business. It is an episode in the past Lord Gill, who was involved in the aborted investigation into Neilson, said: "You don't imagine for a moment that I can make any comment on a matter like that?

"I am terribly sorry, I can't help."

A spokesman for the Scottish Executive confirmed that neither Lord Gill nor Lord Cullen would submit any kind of report on Neilson.

The spokesman said: "The Lord President has advised ministers that his investigation was not complete before Sheriff Neilson's decision and, accordingly, the senior judges will not be submitting a report to ministers.

"He is treated in the same way as any other judge who resigns - his pension will be frozen until he is 65."

Had they continued their inquiry, Lords Cullen and Gill would have decided if the sheriff was unfit to carry out his duties "by reason of inability, neglect of duty or misbehaviour".

A legal source said last night: "It is not a crime for a man to enter a brothel and employ the services of a prostitute.

"But when that man is a sheriff, it would constitute misbehaviour which would make him unfit to continue." At the time of the original scandal, Neilson said: "It's a bit of a personal crisis for me and my family.

"All I can say is that I have the love and support of those who mean most to me."

Yesterday, his wife Elizabeth was with him.

Neilson is no stranger to controversy. In 2001, he was criticised for allowing a sex offender to walk free.

And two years earlier, he allowed a car thief to have his electronic tagging bracelet removed - so he could take his girlfriend out.


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #6 

Senior judge accused of 'flashing'...

ONE of Britain's most senior judges has been arrested for allegedly flashing at a woman on a train, it emerged yesterday.

Lord Justice Richards, who sits in the Court of Appeal, was held on Friday following a complaint from a female passenger that a man exposed himself to her. It was said to have happened in London last year.

Sir Stephen Richards, 56, a married father-of-three, denies the allegation and has been released on police bail.

The judge, who lives in Wimbledon, south-west London, was arrested by British Transport Police following an undercover operation.

Sir Stephen confirmed to a Sunday newspaper that he had been arrested.


1. Bill, Dunblane / 1:51am 22 Jan 2007

And I bet he regularly judges and convicts sex offenders.

I suppose his would only be a small offence tho'.

Report as unsuitable
2. Peter Cherbi, Edinburgh / 2:26am 22 Jan 2007

a walk about in Edinburgh some nights would see them at far more than this ....

Report as unsuitable
3. Timothy Charles Wingate, Ottawa, Canada / 6:11am 22 Jan 2007

Some of these judges are real perverts and should not be allowed to pass sentence on many offenders since they seem to be just as bad or worse than the person they are sending to jail.

For years it has been a standing joke that many male judges are into S&M, young boys, young girls, scatology, etc., etc. - you name it. IF it is true then your have a sick system - probably no sicker than some of the judges here in Canada who make truly bizarre summations of cases and seem to enter the courtroom in a haze as if waking up from a three-day bender.

Read Thomas Macaulay's entry on Judge Jeffries during the reign of James II and you will see what I mean.

Also, the movie "The Ruling Class" with Peter O'Toole depicts a judge with bizarre sexual tastes.

Report as unsuitable
4. Groucho / 8:49am 22 Jan 2007

Has anyone ever heard of the presumption of innocence?

Report as unsuitable
5. Peter Cherbi, Edinburgh / 8:59am 22 Jan 2007

# 3. Timothy Charles Wingate, Ottawa, Canada

.. all true, sadly .. and you can add a few lawyers, politicians & 'businessmen' to that list.

Report as unsuitable
6. Faramars, Iran / 9:20am 22 Jan 2007

This case is very admirable. No body should see himself above the law even a judge who is practicing law. I wish that the leaders of war (BB,S ) who are now above the international law to be arrested and jailed in near future .

Report as unsuitable
7. Faramars, Iran / 9:26am 22 Jan 2007

A question
Do the judges enjoy judicial immunity in UK legal system? for example in Iranian legal system a judge could not be put on trial for a criminal behavior until his judicial immunity has been removed by a verdict of high disciplinary court of judges . Thanks in advance

Report as unsuitable
8. bill, england / 9:50am 22 Jan 2007

What's all the fuss?

Women expose themselves all the time; the train would be heaving with breasts, bellies and legs. Have they been arrested as well?

Report as unsuitable
9. IWright, Edinburgh, capital of Monday / 9:58am 22 Jan 2007

Faramars, no they don't have immunity at any time.

Report as unsuitable
10. Scaramouche / 10:50am 22 Jan 2007

The word here is "ALLEGEDLY".

Maybe he was only fixing an open fly??

But, where was she looking and WHAT FOR??

I'm apt to question the accuser first! Maybe her brother was jailed by the judge!

See? Not so easy now, is it?

Report as unsuitable
11. Faramars, Iran / 11:20am 22 Jan 2007

# 9
thanks again

Report as unsuitable
12. why can't I use my own name??? / 11:46am 22 Jan 2007

Read that article again.

1) A complaint was made by a woman.
2) He was arrested during an undercover operation.

The later suggests he's done this more than once.

Report as unsuitable

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,065
Reply with quote  #7 

A Court of Appeal judge has been charged with exposing himself, British Transport Police have said.

Lord Justice Richards has been charged with two counts of exposure relating to allegations of two separate incidents on trains in south-west London in 2006.

He was arrested on 19 January after a woman complained to police that a man had exposed himself to her.

Sir Stephen Richards, 56, from Wimbledon, south London, has overseen several high profile hearings.

They include that of Jean Charles de Menezes - the Brazilian killed by armed police at Stockwell tube station in south London.


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #8 

'Cad' of the bench who left his pregnant wife for an heiress...

2nd March 2007

The twice-married Judge Miskin and the heiress Catharine Kennaugh.

A cheating judge has been described as a cad and a marriage wrecker after abandoning his pregnant wife to set up home with a friend's partner.


Charles Miskin QC, 54, apparently dumped his new wife for a married heiress following a year-long affair.

The twice-married judge, a Recorder, began the relationship a few months before his high society wedding to barrister Angharad Start, 44.

Following their marriage, Mr Miskin continued the affair and finally abandoned Miss Start when she was six-months pregnant with their third child.

They had had two children before getting married.

Betrayed friend Patrick Kennaugh, 54, spoke of his heartbreak after the judge stole his wife, Catharine, who is due to inherit a £3million fortune.

The pair have now moved in together in Fulham, near the Kennaughs' home in Putney. Art dealer Mr Kennaugh, who has known Mr Miskin since the 1980s, said: "Charles is an arrogant, cheating womaniser.

"He seems to think that only he is important and doesn't care about the lives he hurts.

"His actions have destroyed families. But behind the holier-than-thou attitude is a cad and a marriage wrecker. I don't believe someone so morally corrupt should be a judge."

Father-of-seven Mr Miskin remained friends with Mrs Kennaugh, 50, following a brief university romance between the pair in 1970s when he was at Oxford. She was later a guest at his first wedding to Karen Booth in the early 1980s.

Following his split from his first wife and the mother of four of his children, Mr Miskin set up home with Miss Start in a luxury flat in Stockwell, South London.

The pair had two children before deciding to exchange wedding vows in 2005 at a lavish ceremony at Southwark Cathedral.

But her husband was regularly meeting Mrs Kennaugh. In February last year, Mrs Kennaugh announced that she was leaving her husband and two grown-up children, only to return days later after finding her lover's wife was pregnant.

Mr Kennaugh said that his efforts to get his marriage back on track were undermined by the "obsessive" judge.

Mr Kennaugh finally called time on his 24-year marriage after he says he discovered that Mr Miskin had followed them on a romantic trip to France.

He said: "Charles followed us on holiday to St Tropez. He was completely obsessed. You think he would have had enough on his hands with a pregnant wife and six other children.

"Considering he is supposed to be an upstanding member of society, he has proven himself utterly untrustworthy."

Mr Miskin was yesterday unavailable to comment.

Two weeks ago Attorney General Lord Goldsmith admitted cheating on his wife with barrister Kim Hollis.

Days earlier, The Daily Mail revealed that the Director of Public Prosecutions Ken Macdonald was seeing lawyer Kirsty Brimelow behind his wife's back.

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #9 

Shotgun judge 'sorry' for remark...
Justice statue
The judge apologised for his remarks
A judge in the Republic of Ireland has apologised for telling a court he would use a shotgun to "blow the head off" anyone who broke into his home.

Judge Sean McBride had made the comment as he sentenced a man for robbery in the border county of Monaghan.

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties branded his comments "outrageous".

In a statement issued through the Courts Service, the district court judge said he regretted the "particular form of words".

"I apologise for any offence or upset that these words may have caused," he said.

But he insisted he was trying to underline his disgust at criminals who target the vulnerable.

The 26-year-old man being sentenced was convicted of the theft of items from the home of an elderly woman.

"I was trying to emphasise my revulsion at the violation of the safety of peoples homes - of the sanctuary of their private space," Judge McBride said.

"I regret my choice of language and want to make it clear that I am totally opposed to the use of guns and against all violence."

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,065
Reply with quote  #10 

Judge speaks out over parents wrongly labelled child abusers.

· Couple's 'nightmare' after doctor's testimony
· Private hearing publicised as cautionary tale

Monday March 26, 2007

A high court judge has revealed how the innocent parents of a baby boy suffered the "nightmare" of a court finding that they had deliberately harmed him, in a cautionary tale about the devastating consequences that can follow when courts and expert witnesses get it wrong.

The parents, who may not be named, were separated from their son for 12 months while they were wrongly labelled child abusers. The mother became pregnant again but had an abortion because she could not bear to have a second child taken away.

Mr Justice Ryder took the unusual step of publicising his judgment, which would normally be delivered behind closed doors, so courts, experts and local councils involved in childcare cases could learn lessons for the future.

The parents' ordeal began when their baby, K, was taken into care after they took him to hospital at the age of two and a half weeks. The judge stressed that it was now agreed by everyone that K had never been deliberately harmed and his parents' care of him "is and has always been exemplary".

But by the time the case went to the county court which made the damning finding, none of the medical experts had disagreed with the consultant neuroradiologist in the case, Wellesley Forbes, that one of K's parents had probably forcefully shaken him.

It was only when the parents were finally allowed to seek a second opinion from a paediatric neurologist that the tide turned. He thought K's brain had been briefly deprived of oxygen as a result of something that happened before or during birth. The parents, from Oldham, who are unmarried but in a permanent relationship, "bore an almost intolerable burden of being unjustly accused of inflicting serious injury on their infant son", said Mr Justice Ryder.

They "experienced the nightmare of what has transpired to be a false finding by a court" and "lived for 12 months with the opprobrium and suspicion of friends and neighbours".

The judge added: "This is not a case where there is 'no smoke without fire'. This is a case where a family court and the expert who advised it got it wrong." The appeal court quashed the county court's finding and ordered the case to be reheard by the high court. But the parents were nearly denied the chance to clear their names in court when Oldham council proposed to withdraw the care proceedings, saying it could work with the parents to try to return their baby to them whether they had caused the injury or not.

Fortunately for them, Mr Justice Ryder ruled that the case should go ahead and a new expert be asked to look at the brain scan. A paediatric neuroradiologist from Sweden concluded that K had suffered "a period of profound asphyxia of between 10 and 20 minutes when in the womb and that inflicted injury is not a possible cause of the brain damage". The conclusion was based on a study of four children with a similar pattern in brain scans, which was "at the cutting edge of medical knowledge", said the judge.

That conclusion was later backed by a UK professor specialising in the care and study of newborn babies, and all the experts, including Dr Forbes, now accept it.

The judge said courts and experts may have become too focused on reaching agreement. Experts should use a "balance sheet" approach outlining disagreements as well as agreements. They should take the court through the possibilities, highlighting any inconsistent or contradictory features.

The language of Dr Forbes's first report was "too absolute" and the court should have been told how unusual the case was and the limited research material upon which any expert could have reached a conclusion. The other doctors in the case had initially deferred too much to Dr Forbes and the experts had deferred too much to the court in deciding whether further expert evidence was needed.

The judge said Dr Forbes and the county court judge had fallen into error when the doctor "unconsciously strayed from the role of expert into the role of decision maker and the court failed to detect that that was what had happened".


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,065
Reply with quote  #11 
5 April 2007

A SHERIFF has come under fire for telling a drink-driver to find out how much alcohol he could get away with behind the wheel.

Sheriff Robert McCreadie told James Thomson, who was in the dock: "What you should do, and the information is freely available on the internet, is find out how many bottles of beer you can drink and safely go on to drive.

"I was told you were drinking beer and could not remember how many. You were quite careless."

Campaigners were stunned by the advice and stressed the only safe amount to drink was none at all.

Alcohol Focus Scotland head Jack Law said the lack of zero tolerance was "worrying". He added: "It is very difficult to convert the legal drinkdrive limit into a number of drinks because this depends on so many factors including your gender, weight, strength of the drink and how quickly it is absorbed."

RAC road safety consultant Robin Cummins added: "Being within the limit doesn't guarantee your reactions behind the wheel are as good as they should be. The only way to go about it is not to drink at all."

Police had found Thomson,31, of Larkhall, Lanarkshire, lying on a road in Perthshire after he crashed his van and called them for help.

He was banned for a year and fined £400 for the offence last October. He had been double the limit.


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 971
Reply with quote  #12 

The Angelika Kluk murder trial took a dramatic twist yesterday when an Aberdeen sheriff told of his friendship with the tragic Polish student.

Kieran McLernan told the High Court in Edinburgh that he took her to play golf and gave her a hug and a present the night before she went missing.

The 65-year-old sheriff, who sits in Aberdeen, said he had met Miss Kluk at St Patrick's Church in Glasgow, where her body was later found bound and gagged under the floor.

He told how he, his wife and the 23-year-old student had got talking after mass and found they shared an interest in golf.

The sheriff smiled as he spoke of his surprise at Miss Kluk's knowledge of the game.

He told how he and the young woman shared their Catholicism and spirituality and he had given her a Canadian artefact, known as a "dream catcher", designed to be hung over a bed to keep nightmares away.

Sheriff McLernan said he and his wife lived in Aberdeen with their daughter but regularly stayed at their house in Glasgow where their son also lived.

He said they were a Catholic family and would attend church in the Granite City and "various" churches in Glasgow.

By last summer, he and his wife had been going to St Patrick's for "maybe three or four years" and went every two to three weeks, usually on a Saturday evening at 6pm.

He said the priest, Father Gerry Nugent - who has already told the court he had a sexual relationship with Miss Kluk while she stayed in his chapel house - was "a good preacher".

"He created an atmosphere in that church which was a very open, welcoming, ecumenical. He welcomed everyone."

Advocate depute Dorothy Bain asked the sheriff if he usually went to mass alone or with his wife.

He replied: "We have been together. If she was down that weekend we would certainly be together but if she was not there, I would less frequently go myself."

The court has heard there would be a "social gathering" after mass when worshippers would drink tea and chat.

Sheriff McLernan, who hails from the west of Scotland, said he enjoyed these meetings and "made a point of going".

He said it was there, in the summer of 2005, that he and his wife were introduced to Miss Kluk, who was living and working in the chapel in her holidays from university to fund her studies in Gdansk.

Miss Bain asked him if his friendship with the student developed beyond meeting at mass and he replied: "Well, I never met her except at mass. She expressed an interest in golf, much to my surprise."

He said Miss Kluk knew about the major golf tournaments and that led to the pair, along with Mrs McLernan, discussing the sport.

They had spoken "10 to 15 times over a cup of tea", said the sheriff.

But he added: "she didn't know anything about playing golf."

The sheriff said she was "very polite and bright" and had an "interesting personality".

He told Miss Bain his relationship with the student did not develop beyond meeting at mass, but the lawyer then asked if he had offered to give Miss Kluk golf lessons.

Sheriff McLernan replied: "I got involved in that because she was talking to my wife about learning how to, and she directed Angela to me to show her how to swing a golf club and I agreed of course."

He added that Miss Kluk had been "delighted" and he had given her some basic lessons on the front lawn at the church.

Miss Bain asked if there had been any discussion in 2005 about her visiting Aberdeen.

He said: "I don't remember if it was 2005 or 2006, but she did speak about touring Scotland and at one point she did ask about coming up to Aberdeen.

"At this point there was some discussion with my wife and she was invited to call in if she wanted to."

He said he and Miss Kluk exchanged mobile telephone numbers.

In 2006, he said, they spoke about more golf instruction, but he thought they only played on the lawn once.

Miss Bain asked if he bought her "a present" and he told how he bought a club for a beginner - a five or six iron - from a sports store.

He said: "I took this and had it in the car for some time and I did leave it for her at the front door of the church, rather than give it to her, so I did provide her with a club so she would have a club to swing when my clubs were not available."

He said Miss Kluk was "very pleased" with the gift, which he thought he gave her that June, and she sent him a text message saying thank you.

The court has already heard extracts from Miss Kluk's diary, telling of her affair with married Martin Macaskill, and Miss Bain read some more entries yesterday, including some which referred to "a long conversation with my golf teacher".

Sheriff McLernan agreed she was talking about him.

He said that last September they spoke about the Ryder Cup which was then being played.

The sheriff said he went to mass on Saturday, September 23, and the student was there.

"My wife had been asking her about how she was swinging. I had never actually seen her swing the new club although she had told me she had done so.

"She then told me she was going back to Poland, if I remember rightly, the following weekend."

He said they had separated to talk to other people and then chatted again when he had introduced her as "my golfing protege" to a man called Brian.

"I had said to her in 2005 I would take her to a driving range some time," he said.

"I said, 'If you're going back you'll not be able to come to a driving range - when will you be back in the country?"

Miss Kluk did not know and he suggested they go that night, but she said she was helping "Pat" in the garage.

Sheriff McLernan said he knew Pat as the church handyman, and identified him as the man in the dock, Peter Tobin.

He said that night he told Miss Kluk she had a chance to go to the range and asked if he should ask Tobin if she could.

They found the handyman in the garage who had agreed when Miss Kluk asked if she could go and play golf.

While she went to get ready, the sheriff said he had chatted with Tobin.

Sheriff McLernan told the court he saw some roof covering in the garage, although he was not sure if it was tarpaulin.

He then drove the student in his Rover 75 to a driving range which was closed, before trying another in Bishopbriggs.

Although it was just after 8pm and the centre was about to close, he convinced a man to gather up some balls so they could use the range.

The sheriff said they left after about 15-20 minutes and would have arrived back at the church at about 8.40pm.

Miss Bain asked if they had a discussion about the student going back to Poland and he replied: "Not so much about going back but we had a discussion about her studies and what she was doing and what her degree would consist of. This was probably the longest period I had spoken to her."

He said they did not arrange to stay in touch but added: "At one point she had asked what I did and I told her."

After he pulled up outside the church, he said, she asked about keeping in touch and said she would go and get a pencil.

They got out of the car, said the sheriff, and Tobin was sitting in the garage.

There were some sheets of material on the floor and as Miss Kluk "skipped over" them, she told Tobin: "He tells me I've a good back swing."

While they waited for her to come back, the sheriff said he offered the handyman help with his work, but all he touched in the garage was a camera.

The student returned with her e-mail address on a yellow Post-it note and gave it to Sheriff McLernan, who then gave her his in the chapel house.

He said: "Then it was, 'I'm off,' so she gave me a hug. Short goodbye then went back out into the garage."

Miss Kluk offered to see him to his car, he said, and they walked out to the gate where they chatted again.

He told her how he had returned from a recent trip to Canada with indigenous artefacts called dream catchers.

The sheriff said he told Miss Kluk they were for children, to be hung above the bed to ward off the bad dreams, and gave her one he had in his car.

He said: "She was touched by the stories, I think."

One of these days.....

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #13 
27 April 2007

A JUDGE is suing dry cleaners for more than £33million - for losing his trousers.

Roy Pearson started legal action claiming Custom Cleaners lost a pair of suit trousers he took in for £5 alterations two years ago.

Lawyers for the firm finally offered to pay Pearson as much as £6000 to end the row.

But astonishingly, he's pressing ahead through the courts - claiming $65,462,500.

Pearson, an administrative law judge in Washington DC, claims he's owed the money because he devoted more than 1000 hours to represent himself in the battle.

He insists he has been put through "mental suffering, inconvenience and discomfort". And because he does not have a car, he says he'll now have to RENT one just to get his clothes cleaned at another store.

According to court papers, Pearson dropped off his trousers on May 3, 2005. But they were not ready when he returned later.

Aweek later, the cleaners came up with grey trousers they said were Pearson's - but he insisted they were not the ones he dropped off.

This week, DC Superior Court judge Neal Kravitz said: "The court has significant concerns that the plaintiff is acting in bad faith because of the breathtaking magnitude of the expansion he seeks."

Lawyer Chris Manning, representing Custom Cleaners' owners Ki, Jin and Soo Chung, said: "They have been abused in a ghastly way. It's going to cost them tens of thousands to defend this case."

The Chung family insist his trousers are still at the store, waiting to be collected.

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #14 

Judge orders shoplifters to wear 'I'm a thief' signs...

Shoppers entering a Wal-Mart Supercenter in Alabama got a reminder not to try anything funny: Two shoplifters stood outside with signs reading "I am a thief, I stole from Wal-Mart."

Attalla City Judge Kenneth Robertson Jr. ordered the two people to wear the signs for four hours each during two successive Saturdays.

"The only comments we've heard so far have been positive," said store manager Neil Hawkins. "Most of them thought it was a good thing."

One of the shoplifters, Lisa King Fithian, 46, wore the sign from 11am to 3pm to avoid a 60-day jail sentence. Another convicted shoplifter was at the store from 3pm to 7pm.

Fithian maintained her innocence. She said her conviction was based on a misunderstanding: She said she was taking a $7 item to the service desk because it would not scan.

Outside the store, she said people who saw her wearing the sandwich board commented that the punishment was "cruel."

Hawkins noted how embarrassing it would be for the public to see someone who got caught shoplifting. "Maybe they'll think twice about doing it," he said.

Cruel and unusual punishment? Shoplifters are forced to wear I am a thief signs...

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #15 

Judge had dozed off twice when he should have been listening...

A rapist who needed a retrial in an earlier rape case when the judge fell asleep was yesterday jailed after his conviction for an assault on an 18-year-old woman.

Lee Woodward was cleared of raping a 17-year-old girl in 2001 after his defence team complained that Judge Gabriel Hutton had dozed off twice when he should have been listening. The proceedings were abandoned and the judge was reprimanded for his behaviour. Woodward was later cleared after a retrial.

Two years later he was again charged with raping an 18-year-old woman in Stroud, Gloucestershire, but she was too traumatised to give evidence and he walked free for a second time.

Yesterday, Woodward, 27, was jailed indefinitely at Gloucester crown court and told he must serve a minimum term of eight-and-a-half years for the attack on the 18-year-old while she was walking her dog beside the River Severn in Gloucester last November. Woodward had threatened to kill his victim if she did not comply and ordered her to take off her clothes, however a dog walker heard the terrified teenager's screams and alerted police.

Woodward was arrested just minutes later, but denied raping the woman. However, he changed his plea during the second day of his trial after the victim of the 2003 rape gave evidence against him.

Speaking after the sentencing, Chief Inspector Geoff Brookes of Gloucestershire police said: "This is a dangerous man and we are pleased with the outcome of this investigation.

"We are continuing to develop our investigations into serious sexual assaults in conjunction with our partners, such as the health service and support groups, to ensure victims are fully supported throughout the process. Thankfully these type of offences are relatively isolated."

The TRUTH is out there...........
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.