The Ferris Conspiracy Forum
Sign up  |   |   |  Calendar

  Author   Comment   Page 3 of 8      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #31 

This issue will never be fully resolved until TC & co get a formal apology from STRATHCLYDE POLICE (dont hold your breath though) and Mr Anwar gets to the bottom of things.......................................................

The TRUTH is out there...........

Posts: N/A
Reply with quote  #32 

how can these men get back to a normal life after years of fighting to prove their innocence? as i have also read reg & tc's book indictment and is equally shocking the way they were freed then jailed then freed then jailed it is a f***ing joke


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 1,480
Reply with quote  #33 

I do not know either man personally although i did once cut the big fellow's hair (when he had some) in the early 70's and was also introduced to Joe and his brother through a mutual friend many years ago. I doubt either of these two guys will ever be able to lead anywhere near a 'normal' life after their ordeal at the hands of the system.


Most people who have done heavy time must bare some mental scars in my opinion. To do the amount of time these two men did and for a crime in which both were totally innocent must have scarred both men psychologically.


Couple that with the added hardship of reacquainting themselves with family and friends and attempting to integrate themselves into mainstream society, it must be very, very hard.


My heart goes out to both men. Bilko hopes both find some kind of peace and contentment in future and both have Bilksters support, for what that's worth. Bilko

Law and justice are not always the same. When they aren't, destroying the law may be the first step toward changing it. :D

Posts: N/A
Reply with quote  #34 

Ditto Bilko,my full support as well.

Does anyone know how these men are getting on reference getting the funds for the Retreat?In my view the government should be obliged to provide this.How great it would be for all these men and women to have a place where they can share their experiences and pain they've gone through and help each other to get some sort of normal life back,which was so disgracefully taken from them and their loved ones.xxxsteeleyma


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #35 

The Moderator can inform that TC never got as quick a payment as Shirley McKie did and she never spent 20 years fighting her case so I hope all the ones who were set free get some comfort in life and yes a substantial payment would help but it will never take away the smell...........rotten to the very core and a blight on Scotland as a whole who once condemned these men as MASS MURDERERS!

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,064
Reply with quote  #36 

Another example of a POLICE HIRE A WITNESS SCHEME and eventually got caught out so does this case not merit an open public inquiry too or even an apology?


Keep them on their toes TC!


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 3,165
Reply with quote  #37 

The police and the crown withheld crucial information in the case of TC Campbell and Joe Steele, and it took 20 years for the conviction to be overturned and for these men to regain their freedom and get their lives back after being wrongly convicted of a heinous crime that the system KNEW they hadn't committed.  How long will it take Nat Fraser to be freed???

I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I am not".

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,064
Reply with quote  #38 

Here are several articles why Strathclyde Police have no credibility and even attempting to investigate Grampian Police over the handling of the Arlene Fraser murder enquiry when it's alleged by the Crown Office that they have uncovered material that was withheld from the defence of Nat Fraser.


How much material did Strathclyde Police withhold along with the Crown for almost 20 years?  This is yet another reason to have an independent body to investigate ALL miscarriages of justice and not just to introduce the SCCRC as a parachute regiment to bail out any WRONGDOING.


Here are a few independent articles that back up the reasons to reinforce the view that a total and independent body must be set up.


It may be over for Steel and TC Campbell..but my pain will never end; EXCLUSIVE FIRST INTERVIEW WITH FAMILY OF ICE-CREAM WAR VICTIMS No one cares about the real victims in all this - my wife and baby son If the freed men know who DID start the fire, I beg them to say.(News)

Sunday Mirror (London, England); 3/21/2004


THE champagne corks were popping in the Glasgow living rooms of Joe Steele and Thomas "TC" Campbell as they toasted victory, cleared at last of the Ice Cream Wars gangland fire. But just a short drive away in the threadbare Balornock flat that is home to Jerry Halleron, there was nothing to celebrate, just the usual tears and grief for his dead wife and son.

They were two of the six members of the Doyle family killed in the 1984 fire which shocked all of Scotland - and for which Steele and Campbell were wrongfully convicted.

Today, Mother's Day, the pain will be even worse than usual. For Jerry's wife Christine should have been celebrating her 46th birthday... and it is all just too much for him to bear.

Jerry's son Mark, robbed of life aged just 18 months, would have been 22 this year... and there's not a day when he doesn't think of them.

Giving the Doyle family's first interview since Campbell and Steele were cleared, Jerry said: "These guys are obviously innocent. It may be over for them after 20 years, but it's not over for us, it never will be. We will never know who did this."

Jerry's life has been on hold since that gruesome day on April 16, 1984, when fire ripped through his in-laws East End home.

With every twist and turn of the Campbell and Steele case, Jerry's emotions have been laid bare, his grief every bit as strong now as it was then.

Worst of all, he fears he will never see justice done. "Nobody has thought of us through all of this, everyone has forgotten about the victims," he says, wiping away the tears.

"Every time something like this happens it just brings it all back to us and it's hard, very hard."

There has, as yet, been no indication that Strathclyde Police are going to re-open the case. Officials say there are no new suspects.

But as Jerry relives the events of 20 years ago, the thought that won't go away and screams out for an answer is: Who did this to us?

He says: "What's going to happen to us now? Is it all just going to be swept under the carpet and forgotten about?

"I want the police to reopen the case and find out who did it, but they never will. It makes me sick to think about it. There isn't a day goes by where I don't think of my wife and my boy. I can't talk about it without getting emotional or breaking down.

"The family can never forget about it. It just doesn't go away. It breaks my heart just to think about it."

Jerry, 50, has never re-married and spends his time thinking of what his wife and son would be doing now.

He is still in contact with his wife's family, his mother-in-law Lilly Doyle and her two sons Daniel, 48, and Stephen, 41, who survived the blaze.

He has faced drink problems and struggles to get through each day without thinking of the fire - not for him the high-profile support of the campaigners who battled for Campbell and Steele's release.

And to add insult to injury, he's penniless, while reading in the Press about the pounds 1million each in compensation which the wrongly jailed pair are now in line for.

He received just pounds 13,500 for the deaths of his wife and son.

And the total amount of compensation for the whole Doyle family was less than six figures.Back in the Eighties, the compensation culture of today wasn't even a glint on the horizon.

"No amount of money can bring my wife and boy back," he says, "just as the money won't give back Campbell and Steele their lost years in jail.

"But our family got an absolute pittance, it was disgusting. Campbell and Steele say they want justice for our family, of course they're going to say that."

Jerry's family were victims of a gangland battle to control ice cream van routes and use them for drug-dealing and money-laundering.

One of the victims, Andrew "Fat Boy" Doyle, 18, had refused to give up his route.

In the early hours of April 16, 1984, the Doyle family flat at 29 Bankend Street, Ruchazie was torched.

Christine and baby Mark had been staying with her parents while Jerry was away working in Fife.

Within minutes, Christine and baby Mark were dead along with her father James Doyle Snr, 53, and her brothers James jnr, 23, Andrew, 18, and Anthony, 14.

Jerry was told of his wife's death by his brother and he made it to the hospital to be with his son when he died.

After years of protest, Campbell and Steele were finally cleared of the Doyle murders this week.

Along the line, Campbell, 51, had been on hunger strike to highlight his case while Steele, 39, glued himself to the gates of Buckingham Palace after escaping from jail.

In court this week, judges said they were sceptical about the evidence of police officers who all claimed to have noted identical incriminating statements from Campbell and Steele.

Now Campbell's lawyer Aamer Anwar has sent letters to Strathclyde Police, First Minister Jack McConnell and Scotland's top law officer Lord Advocate Colin Boyd QC demanding an apology.

But for Jerry and the rest of the Doyle family there has been nothing.

Jerry said: "If TC Campbell and Joe Steele know who DID do the crime then for the sake of my family, I beg them to say so.

"And we demand that the inquiry is reopened. My family deserve better than to be forgotten about and abandoned."



Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland); 8/18/2002


COMPENSATION for ex-cons who claim they were wrongly jailed could cost taxpayers more than pounds 5million.

And payouts to three former prisoners appealing against their convictions for some of Scotland's most notorious murders could top pounds 2.2million.

Lawyers acting for Thomas "TC" Campbell, Joe Steele and Raymond Gilmour will lodge record compensation claims with the Scottish Executive if their appeals are successful, the Sunday Mail can reveal.

On average, the Scottish Executive pay pounds 110 for every day a person is held in prison unlawfully as a result of an unfair conviction or miscarriage of justice.

Gilmour, 39 - convicted of the murder of 16-year-old schoolgirl Pamela Hastie in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, 20 years ago - would be entitled to pounds 784,190.

Campbell, 46, and Steele, 40 - jailed 18 years ago for the infamous Ice Cream Wars murders - could get pounds 730,290 and pounds 728,750 respectively if they are cleared, a combined total of more than pounds 1.4million. All three are free pending the results of their appeals.

Yesterday, Steele said no amount of money could compensate for the fact that whole families have been destroyed by his miscarriage of justice

He added: "My fight has never been about money. I simply want to clear my name, and lift this terrible legacy from my family."

Former policeman and Royal Marine Alex Hall, 46, is also to lodge a compensation claim for the 11 years he served behind bars for the murder of Bellshill secretary Lorna Porter.

Hall, from Drumchapel, Glasgow, was convicted of the killing in February 1988, but was freed after a retrial in May 1999. Under current compensation rules he would be entitled to pounds 441,650.

Joiner David Asbury, 26, who had his conviction for the 1997 murder of Kilmarnock OAP Marion Ross overturned on Wednesday, could earn pounds 214,500 in compensation for the time he spent in prison.

A further 11 cases like those of Campbell, Steele, Gilmour, Hall and Asbury are currently before the appeal court.

A Scottish Executive spokesman said there was no ceiling on compensation payments in miscarriage of justice cases and the amount would be calculated by an independent assessor appointed by Justice Minister Jim Wallace.

He said: "There are strict criteria which are taken into account when calculating payments, including loss of earnings, loss of potential future earnings, legal expenses and inconvenience for loss of liberty."

George Fraser, a Polish-born immigrant convicted at the High Court in Dundee in 1948 of assaulting his niece, holds the current Scottish record for compensation.

The conviction was quashed last year after a 53-year campaign and he was paid pounds 100,000 immediate compensation for the five years he spent in jail.


Battling Joe still waits for payout as TC gets pounds 200k.(News)

Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland); 11/6/2005


ROUGH justice victim Joe Steele has not been paid a penny in compensation... while co-accused TC Campbell has been given pounds 200,000.

Steele lives hand to mouth in a rented room while Campbell has moved into a pounds 250,000 townhouse in the shadow of Barlinnie prison.

Dad-of-two Joe said: "I'm really pleased for Tommy to have at least been given something to restart his life.

"He's been put through the wringer for the past 20 years as well as myself.

"But I haven't been given a single penny"It looks like I've become the forgotten man because, since I was cleared, I've kept to myself and tried desperately to rebuild my life.

"Last year, I nearly died after being rushed to hospital for a triple heart bypass due to all the stress and horror of the last 20 years of being wrongly incarcerated for the murders of the Doyle family.

"The years of immense psychological stress, coupled with the appalling prison diet and lack of medical attention, have left me a mental and physical wreck." Campbell backed his friend, saying: "The way Joe has been treated is a scandal.

"The Scottish Executive accept that we were both wrongfully convicted, and our lives have been destroyed forever because of it.

"The very least they can do now is ensure that we receive full settlement as a matter of urgency."

The Executive made an interim payment to Campbell six weeks ago - but they still face a claim for up to pounds 3million.

A source close to the pair claimed: "Due to the fact the Crown argued so vigorously in court that he (Campbell) was earning a huge fortune from the lucrative ice cream vans that were at the centre of the alleged feud with the Doyles, they cannot now deny or play down the loss of the earnings they said he had."

Joe Steele's lawyer John Carroll said: "The Scottish Executive are dragging their heels. It is intolerable. They are now demanding that we prove need, when a blind man could see his need.

"They are insisting that he endure further stress and pressure by undergoing innumerable assessments to back up his claim for compensation, when they should at the very least be providing him with an interim payment to allow him to get on with his life.

"Their behaviour in this instance is nothing short of deplorable."

A Scottish Executive justice spokesman confirmed Campbell and Steele had applied for compensation.

He said: "Any compensation that may be paid will be determined by an Independent Assessor."

He added that he could not discuss individual cases


JUSTICE AT LAST; Ice Cream 'killers' cleared after 20 yrs.(News)

The Mirror (London, England); 3/18/2004


FOR twenty years they have been fighting for justice.

In the end it took three Appeal Court judges less than half an hour to quash the convictions of Scotland's so-called Ice Cream War killers, and instead put Scottish justice in the dock.

Dozens of friends and supporters of Thomas "TC" Campbell, 51, and Joseph Steele, 42, punched the air in delight and applauded as Lord Gill told them: "You are free to go."

His words were almost lost in the din that erupted from the public benches as realisation dawned that the two men had just won the fight to prove their innocence.

Flanked by three young police officers, they looked stunned as they stumbled from the dock, free men at last.

Steele, who had sat with his head in his hands, began clapping as tears streamed down his face.

Campbell suddenly woke up to what had happened and leaned over to kiss his weeping wife, Karen.

All around them, people were hugging and shouting as a court officer tried in vain to keep order in Court Three.

But it was a hopeless task. Too many people had given too much of their lives and their time to let this moment pass quietly.

Out in the corridors of the Supreme Courts of Scotland, a huge throng of people bumped its way slowly and noisily along with Campbell and Steele at its centre.

Everyone wanted to hug them - everyone wanted to congratulate them. Steele could only mumble: "I am delighted now and glad to be over that.

"I am just happy to go home now. It's been a 20-year, hard fight but that's it."

His mother Margaret, who always proclaimed her son's innocence, had left her sick bed to accompany him on this, his third appeal.

Family and friends supported her as she left with him, her faith in her son vindicated.

His lawyer, John Carroll, said: "Yes of course I'm pleased but it was easy for me - I wasn't doing the time."

It was left to Campbell to sum up the last 20 years.

He said: "It's been difficult getting here but there's no jubilation - no happiness. I don't feel in the mood for celebrations.

"There are only losers in this case - the Doyles lost their family, we have lost our lives in prison, justice has lost.

"It has been a long, hard struggle and a very hard fight for 20 years with many false hopes but it seems we have finally reached the end."

Campbell still carried his signature briefcase containing the papers that have sustained him in his marathon battle.

He had already said goodbye to his tearful daughter, Shannon, six, unsure whether he would see her again that night.

And he said he was braced for the decision to go either way but later admitted: "I was cautiously optimistic - with a hint of terror."

Campbell and Steele claim they were jailed after Strathclyde police officers lied in court and yesterday they repeated their allegations of corruption.

Campbell said: "I know what should happen to the police officers who did it but it won't happen.

"It should be dealt with properly in a court of law. A whole number of police officers perjured themselves in a conspiracy - that was admitted today.

"But my experience has been, when there's a wrong done on the part of the police, the police move to investigate themselves and that's usually a circle that goes nowhere.

"I don't expect an objective and impartial investigation by police but we think there should be one."

At a press conference, James Steele revealed that his brother Joseph had spent the night praying for yesterday's decision.

And he went on: "Two men wasted the biggest part of their lives in prison for a crime they didn't commit. And the remnants of the Doyle family now have to pick up the pieces for the rest of their lives.

"We must get to the bottom of this murder. We need an investigation to find the true killers in this case."

He added: "Joseph is feeling numb - he had given up expecting justice but held on to hope."

Campbell and Steele are now set to launch a massive compensation claim against Strathclyde Police.

But Campbell hit out: "There is no compensation for a tragedy of this magnitude."

His solicitor Aamer Anwar said they were hoping that the Scottish Executive would decide on a compensation figure. If not, the men would be pursuing a compensation claim against Strathclyde Police - but he would not say how much.

He also called for a probe into police handling of the case.

Mr Anwar said: "At the heart of this case were allegations of police corruption, officers of the law who conspired for nearly 20 years to keep these men behind bars."

Campbell and Steele were each jailed for life following Glasgow's infamous Ice Cream Wars - so named because rival gangs fought over territories on which the vans operated.

Christine Doyle Halleron, 25, her 18-month-old son Mark, James Doyle snr and his sons James jnr, 23, Andrew, 18, and Anthony, 14, died in 1984 when their flat in Ruchazie was deliberately set on fire.

Two previous appeals in 1985 and 1996 had been refused. This time Lord Gill ruled that new evidence and misdirection of the jury were grounds to quash the conviction.

Campbell's wife Karen was in tears yesterday. She said: "It's been terrible - just a nightmare."

But for the suffering Doyle family, forgotten somehow in all of this, the nightmare only goes on.


It is with some irony that Strathclyde Police are investigating their colleagues up North when if there was ever any need for any investigation into matters of wrongdoing, I personally think that a mass murder that took place in 1984 and the subsequent convictions of TC & Joe Steele were absolutely fabricated by at least eleven cops.  Are any of those involved in the investigation against Grampian Police? Double standards we can all do without.


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 1,601
Reply with quote  #39 

Admin are there any reasons why 382 people have viewed this post and you only have 37 replies do you select the ones you want or are they just surfing as its a big viewing figure and everyone should at least have something to say on this one can you let me know pleases as this is an open forum and I can post things like: STRATHCLYDE POLICE you have just been TANGO'ed on this website OK we know not all of you are FITT-UP B******S so do your duty and report the ones who are! Tc or Joe if you read this make sure you don't let these so-called defenders of the public off the hook as I was in Barlinnie for a few weeks for nothing (REMAND) and every day dragged in and F****D up my relationship and my head and that was only for a few weeks so I take my hat off as I don't know how you have survived all of this and be normal so to speak and will take a very long time to adjust to normality if there is any left out here so I hope one day you will find peace within and don't let the hatred take your eye off the ball!

Judge yourself before judging others.

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #40 

Admin cannot provide you with specific information on this site.


However as Moderator I can clarify that the numbers per ratio per post do not reflect that there is censorship to deny one a voice.


Therefor in relation to the posts it is entirely up to an individual to post anything they feel would be of relevance.


We all have a voice and as individuals it it up to the casual surfer or indeed a Forum member to post (if they so wish) as the main issue is that since the launch of this NEW FORUM we have had the honor of thousands of visitors.


The information contained within the main website is of immense importance.


This forum gives anyone a voice and we are pleased to have you back posing relevant issues and hope I have clarified your post re VIEWS v POSTS.

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 3,165
Reply with quote  #41 

Hi REAL1 & Moderator... thanks for your posts. 


"The information contained within the main website is of immense importance.


This forum gives anyone a voice and we are pleased to have you back posing relevant issues and hope I have clarified your post re VIEWS v POSTS." Originally posted by Moderator.


Really good to have you back on the forum REAL1, and Moderator, thank you for clarifying the issue with regards to VIEWS v POSTS.  Keep the posts coming everyone.

I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I am not".

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #42 
Glasgow Two

Joseph Steele protesting his innocence
Joe Steele protests his innocence in 1993 by glueing himself to the railings of Buckingham Palace

Jailed for life in 1984, Thomas Campbell and Joe Steele, have mounted numerous appeals - most notably in 1993 when Joe Steele escaped from prison and superglued himself to the railings of Buckingham Palace in order to protest his innocence. Both men were released on bail in late 1997 pending an appeal against their convictions, only to have their appeal rejected and be forced to return to prison in February 1998. A further appeal was rejected in December 1998 (see below). The Scottish CCRC is now (July 2000) demanding access to additional documents relating to the case (Daily Telegraph and BBC News reports).

30 September 2001: A long article in Scotland's Sunday Herald on the case and the publication of Campbell's book Indictment: Trial by Fire

3 October 2001: A book is to be published on the case and Glasgow's so-called 'ice-cream wars'. Indictment: Trial by Fire has been written by Thomas 'TC' Campbell and Scottish crime journalist Reg McKay.

1 December 2001: Case referred back to court of appeal.
11 December 2001: Both men released pending the appeal.

This long-running case is also dealt with in some depth at the Scandals in Justice Web site - SIJ Glasgow Two.

2 December 1998
Ice Cream Wars
campaign goes on

Two men convicted of murdering a family of six during Glasgow's so-called Ice Cream Wars have had their appeal bid rejected, but supporters say the decision is "not the end".

Scottish Secretary Donald Dewar has refused to return the case of Thomas "TC" Campbell and Joseph Steele to the Court of Appeal.

A statement from the Scottish Office said: "The Secretary of State has responded to a petition submitted on behalf of Thomas Campbell and Joseph Steele following the rejection of their latest appeal earlier this year.

"After considering the petitions carefully the Secretary of State does not believe that they present grounds for a referral of the case to the appeal court."

Solicitor for the two men, John Carroll, said they would take the case to the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

"I am disappointed about the decision. Not surprised, but disappointed. It was a waste of nine months.

"The commission will have the authority to recommend that the case will go back to the Appeal Court."

The Glasgow Two Campaign, a group supporting the two men, reacted angrily to the decision.

'Absolute scandal''

Campaign coordinator Tommy Sheridan said the decision was "a very, very sad day for justice in Scotland".

"In broad terms, the reason why Donald Dewar didn't back it was he didn't want to go against what the Law Lords, Lord Cullen and Lord Sutherland decided last February," he said.

"Over the last 14 years we have had lots of ups and downs. This is a down but there will be another up. The two men are innocent and we are determined to prove that they are innocent."

Campbell's sister, Agnes Lafferty, maintained her brother's innocence.


"It is an absolute scandal that this has not been allowed and it seems Scottish judges are allowed to do what they want and get away with it.

"This is the 15th year of the campaign and it is exhausting and very wearing.

"Every time we think we are getting somewhere we get a setback like this, but this is all it is, a setback."

Steele's brother Jim Steele said supporters would direct the campaign at Mr Dewar personally.

"As far as we are concerned Donald Dewar has acted in a very cowardly fashion," he said.

"We are determined to intensify this campaign and direct it towards Donald Dewar. We will be talking to Joe and Tommy and meeting next week to discuss the continuation of the campaign. This is not the end."

Illegal drugs

Campbell and Steele were convicted of murdering six members of the Doyle family, including an 18-month-old child, by starting a fire in a tenement flat in Ruchazie, Glasgow, in April 1984.

After a 27-day trial at the High Court in Glasgow, the two men were jailed for life.

The killings were part of a violent war between ice cream van businesses in the east end of Glasgow.

The ice cream routes reportedly formed a network for distributing illegal drugs throughout the city's housing schemes.

It was Campbell and Steele's third attempt at an appeal. They were temporarily released from jail in 1997 pending the result of a second appeal.

It failed in February 1998 and they were immediately reimprisoned.

11 July 2000
'Ice cream wars' group
wants access to papers

By Tara Womersley

A justice review body has gone to court to get access to all Crown papers relating to two men it believes were wrongly convicted of murder in Glasgow's "ice cream wars".

Thomas "TC" Campbell, 47, and Joe Steele, 38, were jailed for life for the murder of six members of the Doyle family in a fire attack in the Ruchazie area of Glasgow. The murders followed a feud over ice-cream routes connected with the distribution of drugs. Both men have protested their innocence for the 16 years since their trial. In 1998 a bid to hear fresh evidence was rejected in a split decision by three Court of Appeal judges.

The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission has gone to the High Court for access to all documents relating to the case, including Government correspondence. It has already received some papers from the Crown, which is opposing the court action. The commission was set up last year and can refer a case back to the Court of Appeal.

Gerard Moynihan, QC, for the commission, said it already had unrestricted access to police papers. He said the commission was entitled to an order from the High Court for the release of documents it believes may help its investigations. He added that the Lord Advocate's opposition failed to take into account the public interest in a thorough review of the case.

Duncan Menzies QC, for the Crown, said it was not trying to obstruct the commission but the documents were in the same category as papers that the Scottish Executive's Justice Department had already declined to release.

10 July 2000
New move in ice
cream wars case

The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission has gone to court in an attempt to gain unprecedented access to all documents relating to the ice cream wars murder case.

It has applied for access to all Crown paperwork including government correspondence relating to the case.

The commission has been considering allegations by Thomas TC Campbell, 47, and Joe Steele, 38, that they were wrongfully convicted.

The men were convicted of murdering six members of the Doyle family, including an 18-month-old child, by starting a fire in a tenement flat in Ruchazie, Glasgow, in April 1984.

After a 27-day trial at the High Court in Glasgow, the two men were jailed for life.

The killings were part of a violent war between ice cream van businesses in the east end of Glasgow.

Ever since their trial 16 years ago, both men have protested their innocence.

The men lost an appeal and then saw a bid to have fresh evidence heard in their case rejected on a split decision of three judges in 1998 after the then Scottish Secretary, Donald Dewar, referred the case to the appeal court.

Lost appeal

Their case has been under consideration by the review commission, which was set up to adjudicate on whether alleged miscarriages of justice should be referred back to appeal court judges.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard that after Campbell and Steele lost their last appeal their solicitors raised a new challenge with the Scottish secretary, which was handed over to the commission when it was set up.

The commission has already received some material from the Crown Office, but has now gone to court seeking access to all documents relating to the case in a move opposed by the Crown.

It has argued that police papers suggested new lines of inquiry.

"This is why they wish to see all the papers," Gerald Moynihan, QC for the commission, told the court.

Advocate depute Duncan Menzies, QC, said the Crown was not intending to obstruct the commission, but argued that the onus was on it to justify why it should get access to the papers.

He also argued that the documents requested were in the same category as papers which the Scottish Executive's Justice Department has already refused to hand over.

The judge, Lord Clarke, said he would rule at a later date.

29 August 2000
Ice cream wars papers
'closer to release'

The release of all prosecution papers in the Glasgow ice cream wars murder case has moved a step closer after a court ruling.

The Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission went to court in an attempt to gain unprecedented access to all documents relating to the case.

It has been considering allegations by Thomas TC Campbell, 47, and Joe Steele, 38, that they were wrongfully convicted. The men were found guilty of murdering six members of the Doyle family, including an 18-month-old child, by starting a fire in a tenement flat in Ruchazie, Glasgow, in April 1984.

They have always protested their innocence and, after several failed appeals, their case is now being examined by the commission.

Numerous requests have been made to the Crown Office for access to papers since May last year.

Scotland's senior law officer, the lord advocate, opposed the documents being handed over.

But on Tuesday Lord Clarke ruled in favour of the commission, saying that there was nothing in principle which prevented it from seeking the papers.

He said: "The commission have a statutory obligation to carry out a full, independent and impartial investigation into alleged miscarriages of justice. Legislation under which they act was clearly designed to give the widest powers to perform that duty."

In his judgement he was critical of the handling of the case by the Crown Office, but said a further hearing would be necessary before he granted the order.

The commission could refer the case back to the appeal court if it believes a miscarriage of justice took place.

Campbell and Steele were jailed for life after being convicted of murder 16 years ago after a 27-day trial at the High Court in Glasgow. The killings were part of a violent war between ice cream van businesses in the east end of Glasgow.

The men lost an appeal, then an attempt to have fresh evidence heard was rejected on a split decision of three judges in 1998 after the then Scottish Secretary, Donald Dewar, referred the case to the appeal court.

Lost appeal

Their case has been under consideration by the review commission, which was set up to adjudicate on whether alleged miscarriages of justice should be referred back to appeal court judges.

The High Court in Edinburgh had earlier heard that after Campbell and Steele lost their last appeal their solicitors raised a new challenge with the Scottish secretary, which was handed over to the commission when it was set up.

The commission received some material from the Crown Office, but went to court seeking access to all documents relating to the case.

That move was opposed by the Crown.

3 October 2001
Families' hopes for 'Glasgow Two'

Thomas "TC" Campbell and Joe Steele have spent 17 years in prison for an horrific crime - an arson attack on a Glasgow tenement which killed a family of six, including an 18-month-old boy. But a new book claims the "Glasgow Two" were framed and their families are confident they will soon be free. BBC News Online's Chris Summers investigates.

Many people remember the night of Saturday 15 April 1984 as the night comedian Tommy Cooper collapsed on stage, live on television, and later died.

But for many in Glasgow's East End it will be indelibly seared in their memory because of a different tragic event.

At about 1.45am on 16 April someone set light to a storehouse door at 29 Bankend Street in Ruchazie, the tenement home of the Doyle family.

Within seconds the flames burned through the roof and into the flat.

Mother died shielding her son

The Doyles were woken by acrid black smoke and, with their escape blocked by the flames, they huddled at the fourth floor window desperate for fresh air and rescue.

By the time firefighters had arrived and got a ladder up to the window, Christine and Anthony Doyle were dead.

Mrs Doyle was found trying to shield her baby son, Mark, who died later in hospital.

Three other members of the family - James Doyle junior, Andrew Doyle and James Doyle senior - died in hospital over the next eight days.

Within days several Scottish newspapers were linking the deaths to so-called "ice cream wars" in the East End of the city.

Andrew "Fat Boy" Doyle drove an ice cream van and mobile grocery shop for the Marchetti brothers and there were rumours of feuding with other operators over lucrative runs on the Garthamlock estate.

One of the operators was Agnes Lafferty, whose brother Thomas "TC" Campbell was soon brought in for questioning.

Eventually Campbell and Steele were charged and convicted of the murders.

No forensic evidence

Campbell, who has now written a book on the case with Scottish crime journalist Reg McKay, claims he was "fitted up" by Detective Chief Superintendent Norrie Walker.

There was no forensic evidence linking them, no eyewitnesses and no confessions.

The key evidence was the word of William Love, who said that in March 1984 he had heard Campbell, Steele and two other men - both of whom were later acquitted - discussing setting fire to the Doyles' home.

This was supposedly corroborated by a comment which police said Campbell made when he was arrested: "The fire at Fat Boy's was only meant to be a frightener which went too far."

Campbell has always denied he made such a comment.

Police also said they found a map in his cellar with Bankend Street circled in blue ink. Campbell says it was planted.

'Innuendo, inference and downright lies'

In the book - entitled Indictment: Trial By Fire - Campbell says: "The Crown case is nothing but a web of illusions created by deceptions, innuendo, inference and downright lies."

But he says: "It is more difficult to defend yourself against a fit-up than it is against a crime you have committed."

In the book Campbell and McKay point to an infamous Glaswegian criminal - Thomas McGraw - as being the real perpetrator.

But they claim the police chose to pursue Campbell and Steele rather than McGraw, because he was too valuable as a police informer.

Strathclyde Police has always denied McGraw was a registered police informer.

Publicity stunts

Campbell, now 48, has embarked on numerous hunger strikes to highlight his plight and Steele, 39, has escaped three times, on one occasion Supergluing himself to the gates of Buckingham Palace.

They are now awaiting an imminent decision from the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCRCC) on whether their case should be referred back to the Court of Appeal.

Tommy Sheridan MSP, who has campaigned on behalf of the Glasgow Two, said he was confident the case would be referred back to the Court of Appeal before the end of this year.

He told BBC News Online: "This case is a double insult. Not only have two guys had their lives ruined for a crime they did not commit, but the killers of the Doyle family have escaped justice."

'Flimsy' evidence

He said the evidence against both men was "incredibly flimsy", but the police had been under enormous pressure to catch someone.

Campbell's sister, Agnes Lafferty, told BBC News Online: "This is one of Scotland's worst miscarriages of justice."

She said her brother had changed entirely during his time in jail, which included four years in solitary confinement.

He had missed out on seeing three children, Brian, Stephen and Cheree, growing up and no amount of compensation would ever make up for that.

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said the force would not comment on a matter which was in the hands of the SCRCC.

An SCRCC spokeswoman said: "It is public knowledge that we are reviewing the case but I cannot give a timescale as to when a decision may be made."

30 September 2001
A hard man
who's still fighting

After 17 years in prison, convicted ice-cream wars killer Tommy 'TC' Campbell has one final chance to clear his name. By Alan Taylor

Seventeen long years ago, in 1984, Thomas 'TC' Campbell heard a judge utter a familiar word for the last time. 'Guilty!' pronounced the venerable Lord Kincraig, setting in train a saga which continues to this day.

'It struck me like a physical blow, a bullet to the heart, staggering me back, stunned,' recalls Campbell. 'Did I miss a word there? Like the word 'not', perhaps? People screaming, wailing, crying, fainting in the court all around me. No, then, I hadn't misheard it! This was for real, but how? How was it possible? How could it be? How could they?'

Questions such as these have buzzed in Campbell's head ever since as he has endured the hospitality of Her Majesty in a variety of Scottish prisons including Peterhead and Barlinnie. Now he is in Shotts, a bleak blot on Lanarkshire's dank landscape. Obsessed as ever with thoughts of freedom, he is still insistently, passionately and angrily arguing his innocence in a place where everyone is supposed to be guilty.

Campbell was given a life sentence, with the recommendation that he serve a minimum of 20 years, for his part in the so-called ice-cream killings - one of Scotland's biggest mass murders. In April 1984 in Glasgow's east end, in lawless estates such as Ruchazie and Carntyne, in-fighting between rival operators of ice-cream vans was close to boiling point. Violence and intimidation were almost daily occurrences as the various factions vied for territory. Vans were raided and shotguns were fired. Pokey-hats and ice-lollies, not to mention single cigarettes, it seems, made for a lucrative business. But beneath a farcical veneer - police detailed to follow the ice-cream vans were dubbed the 'serious chimes squad' - criminals were at one another's throats.

Something had to give. In the early hours of April 16 a fire was started in the cellar of a flat in Bankend Street, Ruchazie, which had petrol splashed across its front door. With the help of chemicals and car tyres it spread quickly. In the house were nine members of the Doyle family, one of whom, Andrew 'Fat Boy' Doyle, operated an ice-cream van whose windscreen had recently been shattered by a shotgun blast. The Doyles awoke to a flaming ceiling and dense black smoke on all sides. Six of the family died, including Andrew and his 18-month-old nephew.

Not surprisingly, Campbell concedes, 'Glasgow went ballistic'. As he explains: 'The word on the street was, 'Find the fire-raisers.' Hanging would be too good for them.' Soon, however, he realised he was the prime suspect. 'People started moving away from me, avoiding me.' But he never seriously thought he would be charged.

How wrong he was. Within a month the police had arrested seven people, who were tried in October 1984. Campbell and Joe Steele, the 'myopic mole', got life for the murders while four others were sentenced on lesser charges associated with the ice-cream vendettas. Campbell was given an extra 10 years for blasting a van with a shotgun. To the headline-writers it was an opportunity to vent venom. Campbell and Steele were child-murderers, family-killers, evil incarnate. What a pity hanging had been banned.

In the lounge at Shotts Prison, where he is visited every Thursday evening by his young wife Karen and their boisterous three-year-old daughter Shannon, TC, as he is known to the guards, looks like any other long-term prisoner: whey-faced and deep-eyed. He is 48 and has spent almost half his life in jail. 'I've never said I was a choirboy,' he says.

Campbell was brought up in a cramped flat in Glasgow's Cowcaddens in the 1950s, the youngest of 10 children. His father was a safe-breaker. When the family moved to Carntyne he soon became embroiled in the gang warfare that characterised Glasgow in the 1960s. Like everyone else he carried a knife - and used it. He was first stabbed when he was 15, he says, offering to show me where his guts spilled out. After that he was knifed regularly. In a book he has co-written with Reg McKay, a former social worker, he remembers sitting in a pub when he was 17 and being attacked three times by someone wielding a hammer. 'Everyone who had seen it thought they had witnessed my murder and couldn't believe I hardly felt it,' he recalls.

He was the archetypal hard man, the Big Yin - the prototype, say some, for Billy Connolly's act. Back then TC stood for 'Top Cat' but these days Campbell says: 'I'm the original TC not because I'm a Tough C***, nor the Top Cat, nor Tommy f***in' Cooper for that matter. I'm TC because that's my name, my initials. But these bastards [the police] took it to mean that I was the prime Target Criminal because every time they punched in for data on the usual suspects my name popped up. Ping!'

At the age of 18, in the early 1970s, Campbell was given 10 years for his part in a pitched battle. He was released in 1979. He was back in prison in 1982 and at the beginning of 1983 but when he came out he got into the ice-cream business and was determined to go straight. 'Well, straightish,' he admits. If someone offered him stolen goods such as sweets or cigarettes he wouldn't say no. He could make up to £350 a week on the van, he says: 'Good money in those days'.

That is why he and others were so keen to protect their patches. Among those involved in what became the ice-cream wars were the Marchetti family, who owned hundreds of vans throughout the west of Scotland, and Thomas McGraw, known as the Licensee, a reputed millionaire who has been implicated in Glasgow gangland activity but never tried or convicted.

This, then, is the background to the events of April 16, 1984, when the Doyle family was struck by tragedy. That night, says Campbell, he was asleep, at home in bed with his first wife Liz. It is a point which was not seriously disputed in court. Instead it was suggested that he was the brains behind the attack - which he vehemently denies.

He was convicted on three pieces of evidence. First, a witness, William Love - a known criminal who was facing a sentence of 10 years for armed robbery and who had three times previously perverted the course of justice - said he had overheard Campbell, Steele and others talking in a bar about how they planned to teach 'Fat Boy' Doyle a lesson by setting fire to his house. The second piece of evidence was a statement Campbell allegedly made to the police saying: 'The fire at the Fat Boy's was only meant to be a frightener which went too far.' Third was a map of Ruchazie, on which the Doyle house was marked with an X, allegedly found in Campbell's flat.

'We were left with the impression that the Almighty himself could not have walked out that door with an acquittal, the prejudice against the accused was so great,' said lawyer, Donald Findlay QC, after the verdict was announced. Campbell maintains he was the victim of a set-up and over the years he has sought to dismantle it, poring over law books to which he has had to fight to get access.

While Joe Steele chained himself to the railings at Buckingham Palace to protest his innocence, Campbell nearly starved himself to death, refused to cut his hair, wrote hundred of letters, made a documentary while in Barlinnie and talked to anyone who would listen. The breakthrough came when William Love admitted he had lied on oath. 'I did so,' he said, 'because it suited my own selfish purposes ... The explanation as to why I gave evidence is this: the police pressurised me to give evidence against Campbell, who they clearly believed was guilty of arranging to set fire to Doyle's house.'

This admission led in 1997 to Campbell and Steele being granted interim freedom by the then Secretary of State of Scotland, Michael Forsyth, pending an appeal. But after a year they were back in jail again after three judges could not reach a unanimous conclusion. For Campbell and Steele it was a cruel blow. Now, however, after three further years behind bars, the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission is about to pronounce on the men's future, apparently on the basis of new documentation. 'I would hope there would be a decision in the near future,' a spokeswoman told the Sunday Herald. 'I couldn't put a timescale on it.'

If this is music to Campbell's ears, he disguises it well. In the normal course of events he could expect to be out in 2004 - earlier if he 'confessed', which he refuses to do. But he has made the mistake of allowing hope to seep into his psyche too many times. He is, he insists, laid-back, as sane as he could be in such a situation, though he suffers from stress and blinding migraines. He gets letters, he says, from William Love asking for help : 'He's tried to commit suicide 11 times.'

Joe Steele was moved to Shotts two years ago. He is at the other side of the lounge, a wee man with a wisp of hair, hugging a visitor. 'I wouldn't like anyone to think we were mates,' says Campbell, 'because we weren't.' Before they became the Glasgow Two, he says, Joe was a petty thief, high on drugs, a nuisance - not in his league. 'Joe's a character. He's had to grow up in prison,' says Campbell, his gaze wandering to his daughter playing with other children who have come to see their fathers.

When visiting time is up she cries. 'She wants to stay in prison. She doesn't want to leave,' says Karen - all too aware that leaving is still not an option open to her husband.

Indictment: Trial By Fire by TC Campbell and Reg McKay is published by Canongate, priced £11.99

1 December 2001
Second appeal over
ice cream murders

By Gerard Seenan

The two men convicted of Glasgow's notorious ice cream war murders have been given another chance to clear their names, 17 years after they were first jailed.

Lawyers acting for Thomas Campbell and Joe Steele are demanding they be released after a decision by the criminal cases review commission to refer their convictions to the court of appeal for the second time.

Their solicitor, John Carroll, said a procedural hearing would be held before the end of the year, and he is asking for the pair to be released on bail from Shotts prison, Lanarkshire, pending the full appeal hearing.

In 1984 Campbell and Steele received life sentences for murdering six members of the Doyle family in an arson attack at their home in Glasgow.

The murders were said to have been provoked by turf wars over the ice cream vans which toured Glasgow's housing schemes.

Alongside their legal trade, some vans also sold heroin and other drugs across the city's east end.

Campbell and Steele have always protested their innocence. Campbell has gone on hunger strike on various occasions, while Steele embarked on a series of escapes. On one such break from jail he glued himself to the gates of Buckingham Palace.

In late 1996 Campbell and Steele received their first legal taste of freedom when they were freed on bail pending an appeal. That appeal, however, was turned down by the split decision of three judges and the two returned to jail in 1998.

Their first appeal was based on the admission of a key witness, Billy Love, that he had lied under oath, and allegations that police officers had fabricated evidence and falsified statements.

It is understood the new appeal will use fresh evidence, including the allegation that armed robbery charges against Mr Love were dropped when he agreed to give evidence against Campbell and Steele.

11 December 2001
Ice Cream Wars
duo freed for appeal

The two men convicted of what became known as the Glasgow Ice Cream Wars murders have been freed pending the outcome of a new appeal.

Thomas 'TC' Campbell and Joseph Steele, who have been in prison for 17 years, were granted interim liberty by three appeal judges.Both men have been serving life sentences for the murder of six members of the Doyle family, including a baby, after a fire attack on their home in Ruchazie, Glasgow, in April 1984.

Their case has been referred back to appeal judges by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission, which has been established to deal with alleged miscarriages of justice. The men have consistently denied being responsible for one of the most notorious crimes in recent Scottish history.

During a 27-day trial at the High Court in Glasgow, the jury had heard how the Doyle deaths happened amid a struggle for control of ice cream van businesses in the city's east end.

The men received interim liberation when they had their cases referred to appeal judges five years ago by the then Scottish Secretary Michael Forsyth. That move came after a witness who gave crucial evidence at the trial said he had lied. But by a majority, three judges ruled new evidence should not be heard in February 1998.

The case was referred to the commission and after a legal battle, which saw the commission go to court to force the Crown to hand over papers, it has now been sent to appeal judges again.

On Tuesday, a procedural hearing took place at which judges were deciding how the appeal should continue. The decision to free the men was greeted with joy by their families and supporters, who were in court for the brief hearing.

The Lord Justice Clerk, Lord Gill, sitting with Lord Maclean and Lady Paton has given defence lawyers two months to prepare the grounds of appeal for the two men. Lord Gill said: "I grant interim liberation to Campbell and Steele."

The two men later emerged from the court, smiling and greeting relatives. Campbell said: "It's definitely about time. Everybody knows we are innocent. I think we are going home for a bite to eat and just to say hello to people who we haven't seen for a long time. My daughter will have her daddy home for the first time in nearly five years. Freedom at this time of the year means even more so."

Steele said: "It's the best day of my life." His brother, Jim, 47, said both men were hopeful they would be out of prison for good. He said: "Last time, their hopes were dashed, they were out for 15 months - that doesn't fit the criteria of a guilty man to return himself to custody. This time, I think they will get out."

The two men have staged a high-profile campaign to try to prove their innocence. Campbell has embarked on several hunger strikes while Steele escaped from prison on a number of occasions.


This information for took several minutes to compile for our members and surfrers alike.


Now just think about fighting the system for nearly 20 years..................................... just to clear their names!

The TRUTH is out there...........

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 9,064
Reply with quote  #43 

Great chronology of events spanning a very lengthy campaign to free the Glasgow Two and really don't know how they both survived in an environment that they were put there through a major STRAYHCLYDE POLICE CRIMINAL CONSPIRACY that will never go away.


Tommy Campbell will fight to the very end but it has taken its toll on wee Joe Steele who I must say done an amazing job by escaping so many times to highlight their case then hand himself back in to the authorities SEVERAL TIMES!


We aim to flush out more cases of police criminal conspiracies as what happened to them should NEVER EVER happen to anyone again but unfortunately the past and current police officers know there are more people held in prison that were convicted on fabricated evidence and even worse keeping information away from defence lawyers that would have exonerated them.


Avatar / Picture

Posts: 1,480
Reply with quote  #44 
Excellent collection of articles posted by hammer6 featuring the chain of events surrounding the 'Glasgow Two' Tommy and Joe...Well done hammer6. I enjoyed reading those articles and refreshing the sequence of events in my mind. Bilko
Law and justice are not always the same. When they aren't, destroying the law may be the first step toward changing it. :D

Avatar / Picture

Posts: 8,395
Reply with quote  #45 

Hi Bilko, I thought that the chronology of events were very important to fresh surfers  or members who did not realise just how much these guys went through to clear their names.


I thought you were on strike? and great to see you back posting


Keep It Real.

The TRUTH is out there...........
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.